Chapter Nine.

Belle spent the next two days in a blur, taking care of Maggie's kids and focusing on nothing else. She went from a happy young woman to a mother overnight and despite her deep love for both children it was difficult, the fear that Alex's father would show up any day to take the kids loomed constantly over her head even as she prepared for Maggie's funeral.

She was tying Seth's dress shoes and fighting back tears when he finally asked about his mother.

"Aunt Belle?"

"Hmm?"

"Where are we going?" He asked looking up at her.

"We are going....to say goodbye....to your mommy and daddy."

"I don't want to say goodbye."

She paused and then took a deep breath easing onto the couch next to him.

"I know, neither do I but...it's better if we do."

"Why?"

"Because....your mommy and daddy loved you....very much but they had to go away and.....I know where they are they're watching you and it will make them feel better if you say goodbye and tell them that you love them. Then....they're going to keep watching you and you can talk to them....anytime you want to and I promise they will hear you."

"What if I'm afraid?" He asked, his eyes watery.

"It's okay to be afraid, but I will be right there with you the entire time and...it's okay to cry if you need too."

"Will Olivia remember mommy and daddy? She's little."

"We will do our absolute best to make sure she always remembers."

"Okay," He said in a small voice.

She hesitated then hugged him close, dropping a kiss on his blonde hair. She held back her own tears putting on a strong front for the two children that needed her.

When Seth pulled away she used her thumb to wipe away a tear on his soft cheek, forcing a smile.

"Let's go."

She loaded the kids into the vehicle by herself, Jade had begged Belle not to go alone but Belle wanted to. Saying goodbye to Maggie would be hard but it also was private, she was closing a chapter on their friendship and she didn't want Landon or Jade to be there.

It never crossed her mind that Alex would be.

*****************************************************************

Alex was sitting in pew of the extravagant church his father had insisted they use. His mother on his right near the aisle and his father to his left. He had donned a suit and even shaved and cut his hair but as he sat there staring at the closed casket what he really wanted was a drink.

"Stop fidgeting, people will think you're strung out on drugs," His father scolded.

His mother sat and sobbed silently beside him, obviously medicated by one of his father's friends who was a doctor. Further down the pew Ethan sat with his wife stoic as ever.

When Alex returned from an AA meeting the day after Maggie's death he was told about Belle having custody and that Ethan was the traitor. Relieved to be off his father's radar for awhile Alex said nothing.

A few more people filtered in and Alex watched them with disinterest wishing he was anywhere else. He was staring at his shoes when his father spoke.

"I can not believe the nerve of this girl," He said.

"She brought the children," His mother replied.