Chapter Seventeen.

Alex sat at the dinner table at his parent's house, it was just him and his two parents and it was terrible not having Maggie there by his side to keep the wolves away.

"So, honey how are the AA meetings?" His mom asked.

"They're miserable and they make me feel like shit."

"A little birdie told me that you haven't been holding up your end of our deal," His father said.

Alex looked up at him but didn't speak, he knew exactly what his dad was talking about.

"You've been seeing Belle, haven't you?"

"Yes."

"How are the kids?" His mother asked quickly.

"They're great mom, they're so happy with her."

"That's not the point, you were given orders we made a deal ten years ago that you would never contact that girl again."

"She has my niece and nephew dad, they're all that's left of Maggie."

"Don't pretend those children are the reason you keep going there, besides once your mother and I have custody it won't matter."

"Are they really happy with her?" His mom asked.

Alex smiled as he turned his attention to her, his mom liked Belle and she loved her grandchildren, he had no doubt that if his dad would back off his mother would let Belle keep both children.

"They're children, they don't know what's best for them." His father scoffed.

"And you do?"

"Of course, living here they would want for nothing. They would go to the best schools have the best of everything."

"What like I did? Because I turned out so well?" Alex shot back.

"You had every opportunity to have a good life, you threw it all away on a teenager."

"I was a drunk way before Belle came along and I was a drunk because I could not stand being sober and being your son."

"That's enough!" His father slammed his palm down on the hardwood table.

"I agree, quite enough," Alex replied shoving his chair away from the table.

He started for the door with every intention of leaving only his fathers voice stopped him.

"Tell me, Alex, do you honestly think she loved you? She's engaged she's moved on and trust me you have no idea what she's capable of. I do."

"What she's capable of? You shipped me to the worst prison you could, you cut all my ties to the outside world!" Alex yelled.

"I did and it was the best for you!"

"I loved her!"

"You don't know her! She was a child Alex!"

"Stop it! Stop it! Both of you!" His mother suddenly yelled.

Alex winced he hated upsetting his mother she was such a kind and gentle soul. She loved her children more than anything and Alex knew she could have been a great woman if she hadn't married his father instead. She devoted her life to her children and her cold husband and now as an old woman she had nothing.

"I'm going out," Alex said softly.

"I'm telling you, Alex you don't know that girl," His father warned.

He shook his head as he exited the giant house, walking down the steps to his car he climbed behind the wheel.

He wanted to brush off what his father said, he wanted to ignore it and claim it was his father being bitter but he had to admit deep in his mind he wasn't sure.

He knew things were hard for her after he went away and every day he hated himself even more. He promised his father never to contact her again but deep down he wanted to see her.

He hoped she missed him, hoped she still loved him and wanted nothing more for ten years than to hold her in his arms. He knew her well enough though to know she was hiding something.

There was a small part of her she was keeping tucked away and holding back and that wasn't the girl he used to know.

Before he even realized where he was driving he was pulling up in front of Maggie's old house and climbing from his car. He walked up the sidewalk and knocked on the door hoping it wasn't too late.

Belle answered wearing loose gray sweatpants and a black t-shirt, her hair fell in loose waves almost to her waist and he thought she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

"Alex...what are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry I shouldn't bother you at home."

"It's no bother, is something wrong?"

"Can I just...can I come in? Can you tell me about Maggie and Jeffrey? Please?"

She stood there a minute studying him and then slowly she moved aside.

"Of course I can."

She led him into the kitchen and after asking if he had ate served him some leftover spaghetti. The children were both already in bed and the house was warm and quiet.

"So...was Maggie happy with Jeff?"

"Yes, they were very happy. He worshipped the ground she walked on."

"How did they meet?"

"At a charity event, Maggie was doing a triathlon for kids with Cancer and Jeff was a reporter covering the event. "

He smiled a little, that was Maggie always doing things for others and always so good with kids.

"I'm glad she had a chance to be happy with someone and got out from under my father's thumb."

"She was so happy with Jeff when she found out she was pregnant they were both over the moon."

"Were they planning on more kids after Olivia?"

"Yeah...they wanted three...Maggie always said she wanted two boys and a girl just like your mother had. She loved you and Ethan so much."

"Maggie was the very best of us all."

Belle smiled and turned back to her cup of hot tea, taking a long sip.

"So...what brought you here tonight?"

"Dinner with my parents," He said with a heavy sigh.

"I remember those," She said with a laugh.

"Without Maggie there as a referee... I couldn't make it and I started thinking, about everything I missed. I loved Maggie of course and I love those kids but...I missed all her biggest moments. I let her down."

"No, you didn't she never stopped believing the very best of you."

"What about you? Do you still think the best of me?"

She didn't reply at first she just stared at him, this was the conversation they needed to have. This was a conversation she had been waiting for but she didn't know what to say.

"You saved me, Alex...I never forgot that and I never blamed you for how you did it. I loved you very much."

He didn't ask any more questions, but at least now somewhat of a truce had been made. if she could forgive him then maybe he could forgive himself.