Chapter Six.

Belle walked the hallway to her apartment with Landon by her side, they were early getting home from the banquet and she was glad. The crowds made her nervous and even now when people whispered she wanted to cower away.

They reached the door and Landon remained stationary as she searched her small clutch for her keys.

"So...it was an early night." He pointed out.

"uh hu."

"Belle...I love you," He said softly.

She blinked up at him but forced a soft smile, he leaned in first and pressed his lips gently against hers.

His kisses were nice she supposed, almost always gentle and soft. Never heated or demanding or passionate like she remembered the kisses from Alex being.

Landon pulled away gently searching her face as he spoke.

"Can I spend the night?" He asked.

She bit her bottom lip unsure of what to say, despite their being engaged she had never been intimate with Landon other than a few kisses. She knew it was kind of unfair to him but she couldn't take the leap.

"I...I'm sorry Landon, I'm just not ready." She said.

"Will you ever be ready Belle?" He asked with a heavy sigh.

"I want to be," She offered.

"I don't mind waiting I know what that bastard did to you had to mess you up. I know you were a kid but...I promise I'll be gentle it won't be like that with me." He said, lacing his fingers with hers.

"Alex was gentle...he never forced me."

"He may not have physically but you were a kid."

"It wasn't like that...honestly."

He shrugged then leaned forward and kissed her forehead.

"I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay."

He turned and walked down the hall and Belle waited until he was gone to let herself inside.

Landon was overall a great catch, he was educated had a good job and had been wonderful and 'patient with her. The fact that he didn't understand what happened between her and Alex wasn't his fault nobody understood it and sometimes neither did Belle.

She let herself into her apartment and stripped out of her fancy dress and shoes. After a long shower, she climbed into her bed. Her mind refused to shut down and let her sleep which had become normal since Alex was released.

She dozed off at some point and was startled awake by her phone ringing on her bedside table. Rolling over she blindly answered the phone without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Is this Miss Whitley?"

"Yes."

"Miss Bellamy Whitley?" The male voice asked.

"Yes..."She sat up and glanced at her bedside clock seeing it was almost three in the morning.

"Miss Whitley this is Chief Gunther down at the police station I'm afraid I have news I need you to come to the station."

"Now?" Belle asked.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Uh, what's this about?" She asked.

"I need you to come down to the station." He replied.

"Okay, I'll be down," Belle said rubbing her eyes.