chapter twenty nine.

The next morning Belle avowed up to court ready to take another verbal lashing from Alexes family.

As soon as she saw the grim look on Ethans face her stomach dropped.

"What's wrong?"

"The judge isn't hearing anymore arguments, he's making his ruling...today."

"Can he do that? Is that normal?"

"No, it's not typical but he is one of the most powerful judges in the country he can do what he wants."

"What do we do?" She asked, staring up at Ethan.

He glanced around the crowded hallway, most people were there waiting for the ruling.
He caught her arm and led her to the side, to an empty spot and lowered his voice.

"Depending on this ruling I don't know if there's anything we can do."

"That's it? We've lost?"

"Once he rules I'll know what our options are, I'll know what to do...I'll keep trying if there's anyway I can."

"Thank you, in case I forget to say it later or...if I cant...thank you." She said her voice breaking.

The doors to the court room opened and Ethan glanced up, his parents and Alex were already filing in.

"Let's go."

Belle followed Ethan inside, aware of the people watching her. She passed where Alex sat and he glanced up, offering her a sad smile.
His mother sat dabbing her eyes with a tissue, his dad was stoic as ever, their lawyer leaning forward in his chair anticipating the victory at hand.

Belle wanted to leave, she wanted to walk out of that courtroom and disappear, she didn't want to hear the words the judge had to say, didn't want to see Alex parents win.

All too soon the judge was seated and a smother hush fell over the courtroom.
He glanced at Belle then he finally spoke.

"This case has been a difficult one, I've known the Reynolds family for most of my career. I watched Margaret grow up before my eyes and I did not make this decision lightly."

He paused for a minute and swallowed, it was obviously weighing him down to make this decisions.

"Margaret was a smart, bright, kind girl. I respected her as a young woman and her decision to leave her children in the care of Ms. Whitley originally made me hesitate to take them from her. I have thought long and hard about those children and who they would benefit the most in living with. A family member is always a first and natural choice."

Alex's dad gave a proud smile his
lawyer giving him a reassuring pat on the back.

"However, something came to my attention during this very trial that made my decision for me. Mr. Reynolds was trying to obtain custody based on the fact he is there grandfather, but...the fact is that Mrs. Reynolds and myself both know that he is not, because Margaret is not his daughter."

"WHAT?!" Alexes father stood from his seat, the crowd instantly coming to life behind them.

"Order in the court!" The judge yelled pounding his gavel.

The court room slowly quieted and Belle glanced across the aisle for Alex only to find he was gone. She could tell by his face Ethan had no idea Maggie wasn't his full blooded sister.

"The fact is I read Margaret's birthday and something in my gut just...wouldn't let go. So I had a meeting with Vanessa Reynolds in my chamber...I submitted DNA which came back as a match. Meaning Margarrt was my daughter. Doing the math I would dare say that Ethan is most likely also my son, isn't he?"
The judge looked directly at Mrs. Reynolds who gave a weak nod and wiped more tears.

"This means Mr. Reynolds doesn't have a right to those children in my eyes. So Vanessa? Would you like to pursue full custody?" He offered.

Belle and Ethan both turned to his mother, she glanced at them then his father and then slowly again shook her head no.

Relief swept through Belle like a tidal wave, tears filling her eyes her body shaking as Ethan pulled her in for a hug.

"Therefore I hearby award full, sole custody of both children to Miss Bellamy Whitley." The judge ruled pounding his gavel.

"Vanessa I will see you after court," the judge said as he stood.

"This is an outrage, how fucking dare you!" Mr. Reynolds roared.

"Mr. Reynolds I've never approved of you, you're methods of judging, your ability to father your kids or the way you treated your wife. Had she agreed all the times I begged her to leave you we wouldn't be here please...give me a reason to hold you in contempt."

Ethans dad shoved his own lawyer out of the way and stormed from the courtroom, his mother sat in her chair.
Slowly she took a long drink of her water.
She stood slid her wedding rings off her finger and laid them on the table, she fixed her hair and then calmly exited as well.

"Are you okay?" Belle asked, turning to Ethan.

"I...I'm shocked but...yeah...I think so."

She reached out to rub his shoulder. He closed his briefcase and stood.

"Let's go celebrate," He said.

Belle laughed and stood to follow him, as they recahed the aisle his wife slid from the bench behind them meeting Ethan with a kids.

They exited the courthouse and as soon as they reached the steps were flooded with reporters.
Lights flashed, people yelled and cameras were all shoved in Belles face.

"Please, please one at a time!" Ethan called.

Immediately the attention turned toward Ethan and Belle faded away. She took a few timid steps to the side watching Ethan.
He smiled as he happily talked to the reporters about the amazing turn of events and his niece and nephew.

Glancing down the street she saw Alex, he had lost the tie and undone the top few buttons on his shirt, hands in his dress pants he started walking towards her.

She felt herself flush under his unwavering stare, his blue eyes never leaving her as he walked up the steps.
When he reached her he didn't speak.

He slowly eased down onto one knee and from a pocked produced a small black box which he opened to reveal a beautiful ring.

"Alex..."

"Marry me?" He asked.

"Yes, yes, yes," she said happily tears in her eyes as she held out her hand.

He laughed sliding the ring onto her finger and standing he pulled her in close, resting his forehead against hers.

"I told you one day I was gonna kiss you in front of the whole world," He said softly.

She didn't have a chance to respond before he bent his head and sealed his lips over hers. She gripped his jacket lapels in her hands holding him close, a part of her afraid for the kiss to end.

Afraid of the judgemental stares, the bad publicity, the people yelling and calling him terrible names.
When he finally slowly pulled away she turned towards the reporters.

They had not noticed, they were still interviewing Ethan.
They weren't Belle and her teacher anymore they.

They were a normal adult couple now and the past was finally in the past.

Alex smiled taking her hand firmly in his and kissing the back of her knuckles before leading her down the steps and away from the courthouse into their new life.

Author Note: it's taken forever to get here but Belle and Alex has always been a story that was dear to me.
Don't run off we have one more chapter left and you won't want to miss it.
Stay tuned for the epilogue.