epilogue

7 months later.

"Are you sure I can't help?" Jade asked from Belles left side.

"I've got it," Belle replied.

She carefully pulled the large turkey from the oven and set it on top, closing the oven door and giving the turkey a glance.

"It's perfect," Jade said.

Belle glanced at her step mother with a warm smile as Alex's laughter echoed in the house.

"Everything is perfect, even the snow."

"Supposed to have nearly a foot by morning," Jade pointed out before taking a sip of wine.

"I love snow on Christmas."

"Baby, can I help with anything?" Alex asked, stepping into the kitchen.

"No, I think we are ready to eat."

Alex moved to the counter grabbing two oven mitts he carefully lifted the large roaster and turkey, carrying it into the dining room.

Candles were lit on the long table, along with some garland and twinkle lights. Seth was sitting in a chair, Olivia was in her high chair next to him. Across the table Alex's mom was seated and behind him stood her new boyfriend and old lover, whose name Belle now knew was Craig.

"Can I get you two anything?" Belle asked as Alex set the turkey down and Jade took a seat.

"No, everything looks delicious," Alex's mother replied.

Craig took a seat just as Ethan and his wife entered the dining room.

"Are you feeling okay?" Belle asked.

"Oh just a large plate of food, or two, I am starving." His wife giggled.

"You'll throw it up in an hour," Ethan teased.

He pulled out a chair for his heavily pregnant wife as she gave him a gentle elbow to the side.
He sat down next to her.

"Do you two have a name picked out yet?" Jade asked as she began passing around the salad.

"If it's a girl we've decided on Margaret," Ethan said.

Alex stood next to Bell wrapping an arm around her waist and giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Everything is perfect, have a seat." He said.

"Almost perfect," she replied.

When Alex looked at her confused she motioned with her chin towards the large window. Across the street through the  falling snow sat a black car, it's headlights were off it was covered in snow but the engine was running.

"Belle..."Alex was gonna speak and she shook her head.

"I will go."

She pulled on her winter coat and quietly slipped outside, she walked through the deepening snow down the sidewalk to the road. When she reached the car the headlights came on. She knocked on the window.

Slowly the window came down. Alex's father looked old, tired, withered. Nothing like the man she once knew.

"I don't want any harm, I'll go." He said softly.

"It's Christmas Eve..." Belle said.

"I know, I...I wanted to just see the kids...even through the window."

She gave him a soft smile, and he sighed heavily. He put the car in drive.

Alex was just handing Craig the potatoes when the door opened and Belle stepped inside. Alex stood, her hand was looped in his dad's arm.
The soft banter in the room froze and the house fell silent, even pair of eyes fell to the snow covered pair.

Alex, would you please get your father a chair and plate?"Belle asked.

Alex stood and disappeared into the kitchen and Belle cleared her throat.

"Let me take your coat," she offered.

He handed her his coat and she began removing hers just as Alex entered with a chair.

"Here, why don't you come sit by me, Mr. Reynolds?" Jade said quickly as she stood and moved over some making space beside her.

"Thank you," his father replied.

Alex set the chair where indicated and as his father sat Alex caught his arm.

"I'm glad you're here...Dad," Alex said softly.

His dad hesitated then embraced him in a tight hug.

"Me too son."

His dad sat and Jade immediately handed him a basket full of rolls. Belle didn't miss the softening in his eyes when he looked at Jade, the lingering glance or Jades girlish blush and she bit back her own smile as slowly the hum of conversations started up again.

Alex sat next to her and reached out to squeeze her hand in his, his gold wedding band sparkling in the candle light.

"I love you," He said softly.

"I love you too."

Seth went on to his grandpa happily about the gifts he was hoping to have tomorrow morning, Ethan was talking to his real father and mother about his plans for a nursery, Olivia smeared Green beans in her hair, while Jade and  Ethans wife chattered about girlish things.

Belle raised her own glass of grape juice and lifted it towards Alex who copied her action.

"To Maggie," Bell said tears in her eyes.

"To Maggie," He agreed.

They clicked their glasses together in their toast as their family chattered around them and the snow fell softly outside.

The End.