chapter twenty eight

Belle stood in the courtroom, Ethan sat next to her reading papers. Across the aisle Alex and his parents were whispering amongst themselves.

Belle chewed on her nail as she glanced at the empty seat where the judge had been. Recess was still in place and nobody had a reason as to why it was called so early in the hearing.

A petite woman exited the judges chambers and quickly moved to Alex's family, a minute ticked by before Alex's mother stood.
Her face pale and spine rigid as she walked into the judges chambers behind the woman, she looked as if she was being lead to her death.

"Is that normal?" Belle asked.

"No, but...my parents have known him since before Alex was born."

"I'm going to lose," she said softly.

"He is eccentric, he's a close family friend but...I've always known him to be fair."

"He knows your family, he won't pick them over me."

"Let me worry about that, okay?"

A few minutes later their mother returned, she looked as if she has seen a ghost as she sat down next to their father.

Ethan glanced in her direction but didn't speak.

The judge returned to his seat and after a heavy sigh ordered the court back in session allowing Ethan to call his next witness.

"I call Landon Hughes to the stand," Ethan said.

Belle watched as Landon passed her and was sworn in, she had been skeptical about letting him speak. He was a jaded lover but Ethan assured her it was a good idea.

"Mr. Hughes, how long have you known my client?" Ethan asked.

"About six years."

"And what is the nature of your relationship?"

"We were friends, then we dated and we talked about getting married but decided that isn't the right choice for us."

"And in your opinion is my client a good fit for the children?"

"Absolutely."

"Have you ever met the children's mother?"

"Yes, several times."

"Do you think she made this choice lightly?"

"No, never. She would have considered every option."

"No further questions," Ethan said returning to his seat.

His parents lawyer stood walking towards the stand, he looked as smug as ever.

"Why did you call off your engagement?" He asked.

"Objection your honor, My clients dating life is not relevant!" Ethan called.

"Over ruled, answer the question."

"She fell in love with someone else."

"And was that someone my clients eldest son?"

"Yes, sir."

"The same son who just got out of prison?"

"Yes."

"And you're okay with that?"

"No, I...I love her but...it's over."

"Is it fair to assume that you're here to try and win some affection?"

"No."

"That maybe you would say anything to get the kids returned so that you may have a chance with Miss Whitley."

"No!" He yelled back.

The lawyer paused with a sinister grin he turned to the judge.

"No further questions."

"You may step down," the judge said.

"Can I say something your honor? Please?"

"Sure."

"I've known Bell for six years I've loved her just as long and I know she would be an amazing mother, I know those kids are better off with her. I haven't known Alex long and I hated his guts a long time but he's a good man. Those kids...they love him and Belle, she would never give her heart to someone unworthy. She would be an amazing mother and if Alex decides to ask for her hand in marriage I better get an invite to the wedding because he would be a hell of a dad and he deserves her."

Belle bit her lip in an attempt to hold back the fresh tears. She cast a cautionary glance at Alex who sat stoic, his head down, refusing to look at the judge or Landon.

"Thank you, Mr. Hughes, you may step down," the judge said.

Landon left the bench giving Belle a sad smile as he walked past her and exited the courtroom. 

Ethan reached over to give her hand a firm but gentle squeeze.

As the day wore on his parents called multiple witnesses, poking holes in everything Belle had done. From small reprimand in college to a speeding ticket. Everything was dragged out and by the end Belle felt even more sure she was going to lose the kids.

Ethan tried valiantly to block every accusation and near the end of the day look weak and exhausted.

When the day was over the judge requested they arrive in the morning for his ruling.

Alex's parents quickly ushered him our of the courtroom looking very much like the victors.

"I'm sorry, Belle," Ethan said.

"It's okay, you did your best. I wasn't a very easy person to defend."

"That's not true, anyone with brains knows those kids belong with you."

"Thanks, what do we do now?" She asked.

"We wait and see what happens tomorrow. Tonight you go enjoy your kids and tomorrow if there's any legal options left...we fight again."

"And if there's not?"

He gave her a small pat on the shoulder and stood closing his briefcase.

"Go home and enjoy your kids Belle. Love them, make memories...while you can."

He left her alone in the courtroom and she waited until the door closed before she buried her face in her arms and began to sob.