Chapter Four.

If the photo works it's of Belle. 

The next day was a Saturday and Belle was more than happy to spend the day tucked into her apartment alone with a hot cup of tea and a good book.

It was raining and she brewed her tea extra strong, wearing her favorite flannel pants and a grey sweatshirt she didn't bother to brush her hair.

Landon worked weekends a lot and usually, Belle would go see Maggie but figured her best friend was too busy visiting her long-lost brother to care if Belle skipped a weekend.

She moved to the large bookshelf in her living room, reading the spines of the many classic and contemporary titles she owned her eyes stopping on one in particular. The complete works of the Marce' De'Sade', it was a book Alex had given her ten years ago.

She reached out traced the spine of the worn-in book, it had been years since she'd touched it or read it but there was a time when it was a valued possession.

She took it down from the shelf, taking a deep breath and staring at the cover. She remembered him giving her this book and a part of her didn't know why she had kept it all these years.

A knock sounded at the door and she went to answer it, setting her tea aside but taking her book with her. She opened the door but was not prepared for who she found on the other side of the door.

"Alex," She clutched the book to her chest and took a step back.

"Maggie insisted that you uh...needed this immediately," He said.

"Needed what?"

He reached into his jean pocket with a heavy sigh and produced a small, silver compact mirror handing it to her.

"She said you must have dropped it last night...she also said she was too busy to bring it," He said softly.

She could tell he didn't want to be here any more than she wanted him to be so she reached out taking the compact and looking at it.

"This isn't mine," she said.

"Yeah, I figured it wasn't."

"It even has Maggie's initials on it," She pointed out.

He gave a slow nod, making it a point not to look at her or the compact she held. Choosing instead to look around the hallway he stood in.

"Well, thanks anyway." She said with a shrug.

She handed it back and he waved her away.

"Keep it, give it back to her when you see her. I have no doubt she'll be over tonight."

She gave a small nod, clutching the book even closer to her chest. She needed it as a lifeline to keep her grounded. He finally glanced at her and then at the book she was holding. He stared for a minute at the book in her arms then he looked up and into her eyes.

His eyes were just a blue as they ever were but they looked different, sad, older, angry and not at all like the man he used to be.

"Goodbye, Belle." He said softly.

"Goodbye."

He turned and walked down the hall without another glance at her and she closed the door, clutching the book to her chest with one hand and holding Maggies compact in the other.

She was going to kill her best friend.

She turned and set the compact on her coffee table walking to the window seat in the corner of her apartment she curled up on the cushions watching out the window.

She saw Alex emerge from the building below her and step onto the street, he pulled his jacket closer, turning up the collar against the rain.

She watched him look around the street and couldn't resist leaning closer to the glass, one hand pressing against the window pane.

He turned as if sensing her presence and looked up at her, her breath hitched in her throat when his eyes met hers. She bit her lower lip watching him.

He stared up for longer than he did in the hallway, he almost looked as if he wanted to come back and a small part of her hated to admit she wanted him too.

Then he dropped his head, his long hair covering his face as he turned and slowly walked down the sidewalk.

She watched him go until she couldn't any longer then she let her head fall to rest against the windowpane. She had so many questions in the back of her mind begging to be answered. She felt like she had finally gotten her life together and was going somewhere but all it took was seeing him at Maggie's to bring that tumbling down. She felt like a weak, teenaged girl again who was too small, too innocent and too scared to stand on her own without him.

She wasn't sure how long she sat there, staring out into the cold, streets and watching the rain race down the window but when she finally turned her attention back to enjoying her day off her tea was cold and none of her books interested her.

After trying to force herself into relaxing for a few hours she finally surrendered to the desire to return to the safety of her bed. She buried herself beneath the blankets and sheets and spent the rest of the day hiding from the world.