Chapter five

Belle stared at the picture in her hand as she sipped her coffee, a million emotions washing over her. Seeing Alex again forced the memories she had been running from to circle back to her.

Her phone drew her attention and she was forced to drop the picture to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hey, how's it going?" Maggie called obviously using her Bluetooth.

"I can't believe you did that last night! Do you know how stupid I felt?!"

"Why? as far as Alex knows it was my mistake and I thought it was your compact. Did he talk to you? did he say anything?" Maggie pressed.

"No, he just dropped it off and he left. I appreciate the subtle push but it just isn't going to work Mags. He can't stand to even look at me."

"You two need to talk...you owe it to each other to sit down at least once and just...tell your own side of how things were. You were so in love and then...once my dad got involved in court it was just over so suddenly."

"It was a long time ago Maggie, I was just a stupid kid and I ruined his life," Belle said.

She stood and began to pace her small flat, one arm wrapped around her waist.

"So are you saying you didn't love him?"

"No, I did. You know I did but...what did that get him? Ten years in prison, completely pulverized by the news, your father shutting him out, his career lost."

"What was the last thing Alex said to you? ever? On the phone, in person or in writing before prison? what was the last thing?"

"He told me that he loved me...when the judge made his ruling and the bailiff was taking him away he said he loved me."

"Alex never told anyone that before. He never even told me or my parents that he loved us. He didn't say it to you and then just push it away. Something happened in prison that made him ignore your calls, visits, and letters. Don't you want to know what?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Don't you want to tell him what happened to you after he went away? don't you think he deserves to know?"

"It would only make things harder, I love you Maggie and I did love Alex but...it's over. That part of my life is over and I hope he can move on with his life."

"Okay, I'll stop pushing," Maggie said softly.

"Thank you."

"How is Landon taking it that Alex is out?"

"Okay worried about me but...he just doesn't understand that I was never in danger with Alex."

"I like Landon but...you just seem different with him."

"Compared to who? Alex? It is different, I'm different and the situation is different."

"I know, the kids are here. We're going for ice cream. Want to join us?"

"Not today."

"Okay, say hi to aunt Belle," Maggie said happily.

"Hi, aunt Belle!" Seth squealed.

"Hi, baby boy."

"I love you."

"I love you to big man, are you being nice to your sister?"

"No, she smells."

Belle laughed and shook her head, Seth wasn't adjusting to being a big brother as easily as his parents hoped.

"She won't smell forever," Belle promised.

"Hey, I forgot to ask can you watch the kids tonight?" Maggie piped in.

"No, I can't. Landon is taking me to a social thing for his work."

"It's fine, we were going to go out but we can always take them with us," Maggie replied.

"Are you sure? I can cancel." Belle offered.

"No don't be silly."

Belle stood and paced to the window seat, the same one she watched Alex from last night. Pressing her hand against the cool glass pane and staring down at the empty sidewalk.

"Belle, I'm sorry that I sent Alex over last night. It was a pretty shitty thing to do but...I know that Alex loved you."

Belle shrugged but didn't reply. During his time in prison while she struggled with the aftermath of what happened and college Belle gave him every attempt possible to reach out to her. Insisting in every phone call and letter that she still loved him. Alex had stuck to his promise to his father and never replied to or acknowledged her and that rejection hurt more than anything else.

"I'll let you go, call me tomorrow and tell me all about your big event tonight." Maggie teased.

Belle smiled, had it not been for Maggies constant companionship she would have been a lost cause. Maggie refused to stop visiting Belle, called every day and her bubbly personality finally broke through Belles dreary demeanor.

"I love you," Belle said.

"I know." Maggie laughed and hung up.

Belle listened to the dial tone for a minute then hung up as well sinking onto the window seat with a heavy sigh.