Chapter Ten.

"I still don't see why the kids can't come here and live with you," Landon said as he closed another box.

"They lost both of their parents, I can't just upheave their entire lives."

Belle sat a box aside and reached for another one, it was hard to leave the apartment that she loved so much but she knew the kids needed to stay in their home.

It had been a full week since Maggie's funeral and Seth was putting on a brave face but Belle knew he was struggling, so was she. She hoped laying her roots down in his home would show him that she wasn't going anywhere.

"I got the u-haul all loaded up," Jade said as she appeared in the doorway. Seth trailing along silently behind her.

Olivia was a few yards away in her car seat sound asleep. Belles small apartment mostly empty except a few boxes.

"Thanks," Belle said.

"I'll take these boxes down and be back for more," Landon said lifting two boxes and disappearing downstairs.

Once he was gone Jade moved further into the apartment and Seth rushed around her to the fridge. He opened it reaching for a juice box, Belle set her empty box aside and hurried to help him reach it.

She handed him the juice and then gave him a small nudge to the kitchen stools.

"Motherhood suits you," Jade said.

Belle looked at her but didn't reply as she pushed down the feeling rising inside of her and the thoughts of what if.

"This isn't how I wanted it to happen," Belle said softly.

"I know but...it does."

Belle turned to a box stopping to stare inside at the contents, the picture that lay half stuck in the book that Alex has given her when they met. A few trinkets and knickknacks. An entire life that almost was.

With a heavy sigh, she closed the flaps on the box.

"How is Landon taking all of this?"

"He doesn't want me to move."

"How is he with the kids?"Jade asked.

"He's good, he tries but...Seth is...struggling and he doesn't let people get too close right now"

Jade reached for the tape and taped a box shut that was nearest her.

"Have you heard from him?" Jade ventured.

"No, not since the funeral. I don't know what's wrong with me. I knew it was over, it's been over for ten years and Landon is a great guy but..." Belle fell silent.

"You still thought maybe there was a chance." Jade supplied.

Belle shrugged setting the box aside, maybe it was stupid and she certainly felt like it but it was true. A small part of her had held on to hope Alex would come back for her.

Landon came back upstairs, walking to where Seth sat on the stool and ruffling his hair before heading to the fridge himself and pulling out a bottle of water.

"How's it going little man?" He asked.

Seth stared up at him then shrugged but didn't reply as he concentrated on his juice.

Landon gave up and walked over to where Belle stood.

"I've been thinking," He said gently.

"Yeah?"

"What if we...picked a wedding date? one that will be soon?" He offered.

Belle froze, her heart skipping a beat and suddenly feeling nauseated.

"Why? we're fine the way we are, aren't we?"

"Yes but...if Maggie's parents push for custody I think it might look better if you were in a married, stable relationship. You do want to marry me, don't you?"

She was aware of Jade standing a few yards away staring at them, of Landon gripping her hand that she wore her engagement ring on, of Seth who was sipping his juice.

"I...yes but..I'm not ready."

"Belle, I know this is hard you're going through a lot but I love you and I'm willing to start my life with you now, and with those kids."

Belle glanced at Seth and then Olivia, he was right being married would probably help her hold on to custody.

"Okay, we can talk about it." She agreed.

He smiled leaning in for a quick kiss that she barely returned, then he turned to lift another box and headed out the door.

As soon as he was gone Jade finished dropping books into a box and hurried towards her.

"Belle, don't do this. Don't settle."

"I'm not, I do care for him, he's a good man."

"Belle..."

"It's okay, I can be happy with him. Alex...was my past...Landon...he's my future, Landon, and the kids."

Belle lifted a box before Jade could say anything else and headed out the door with it. Walking down to the vehicles and placing the box in her trunk.

Landon was closing the uhaul and he smiled as he approached her pulling her close for a longer kiss than the one upstairs.

"I'm really happy you said yes," He said.

"Me too."

He turned heading to the front of the vehicle.

"I'll meet you at the house," He said.

"Okay, we will be there."

He climbed in the moving van and drove away, Belle went back into her apartment. Olivia was just waking up and Seth had finished his juice.

"Okay, Munchkin. Let's go," Belle said.

"I like it here," Seth said.

"So did I but...I think we need to be together."

"Okay."

He hopped down from his stool and took Jade's hand letting Jade lead him out of the apartment. Belle lifted the car seat and smiled down at Olivia who was happily playing with her own feet.

"Let's go, baby," She said with a heavy sigh.

Olivia didn't replay and Belle looked around the empty apartment one more time, she had been so proud when she got this place and had such big dreams for it.

Her hand went into her jacket pocket to the compact that was in it, Maggies compact that she was keeping close.

She was doing this for those kids, for Maggie. All of it was for them now.