Chapter Fourteen

Alex made it a point to come over every day after Seth went missing and spend time with the children, Seth in particular. They played catch in the yard, they played with cars in the sandbox and on rainy days they made a fort out of blankets and pillows.

It unnerved Belle having him so close all the time, seeing him every day. They barely spoke except the occasionally hello, goodbye and general questions.

It didn't take long for Landon to grow uncomfortable with the idea of Alex being alone with Belle every day, all day but he tried to be as supportive as possible.

Belle was finishing breakfast when the phone rang, she didn't need to check the caller ID to know it was Landon.

"Hello?"

"Hey Baby, how is it going?" He asked.

"Good, hows work?"

"Boring, How are the kids today?"

"They're good, still asleep."

"I was thinking about maybe taking them to the park today, just the four of us." He said.

"Oh...um, well I think Alex is coming later to teach Seth how to play scrabble."

"Of course he is," Landon said with a heavy sigh.

"I'm sorry."

"No, don't be. I trust you, I do I just...I can't bond with those kids when he's always there setting the bar way too damned high."

"How about maybe this weekend we take them and go somewhere? Just the four of us?" She offered.

"That would be great, call me later?" He offered.

"Of course."

He hung up without saying that he loved her, lately, he hadn't been saying it as much and she wished it bothered her, but it didn't. Things with Landon had moved so fast sometimes she felt hesitant, other times she was positive that he was offering her the life she always wanted.

Turning to the dining room table where Seth sat with his dinosaur pajamas and Olivia was seated in her high chair she smiled and set a plate in front of each child.

"I don't think I like eggs," Seth said.

"Don't be silly, of course, you do," Belle replied dropping a kiss on his head.

"I do?"

He picked up his blue plastic fork and pushed the eggs around a bit seeming to believe her.

Satisfied he was going to eat Belle disappeared into the kitchen for a cup of hot tea, she reached into the white cabinets and pulled down a mug with the title "Wifey to be" emblazoned on the light blue ceramic. She paused staring at the cup, she had bought it for Maggie right after her engagement, her fingers brushed the lettering and she took a deep breath.

Pouring herself a cup of hot tea soothed her, her soul settled and the house seemed to briefly fade. Everything was okay just for a few minutes.

The knock on the front door could only be one person, Alex. She closed her eyes for a few long seconds before she heard Seth's feet thundering to the front door.

"Uncle Alex is here!"

"Make sure it's him before you open the door!" Belle called after him.

She heard the front door swing open a second later, not long enough for him to have checked and made a mental note to get a chain lock that would be too high for Seth to reach. If the child insisted on opening doors on a whim she wanted an intruder to have some resistance.

She reached for the shopping list and had just written chain lock on the top when Alex entered the kitchen.

"You should probably get a chain lock," He said.

"It's on the list, one more thing I have to buy." She said with a heavy sigh.

"Belle, I know Maggie left you with more than enough money to survive for a while, why don't you tap into it?" He asked pouring himself some tea.

It was true that Belle had an ever-growing list of things she needed for the kids, for herself, for the vehicle and the car she inherited and couldn't afford to keep up on her salary.

"It doesn't feel right, spending her money. I want the kids to have it. I want them to have a real chance at a life and the money Maggie left can do so much for them. I can't spend it."

"She left the kids their own money, she wouldn't want you to struggle."

She shrugged and circled the chain lock on the list, it was a top priority the rest would wait a few more weeks."

"Look, if you won't spend the money then let me help you," He dug in his back pocket for his wallet and began fishing inside.

"No, Alex."

"Belle, they're my niece and nephew I want to help."

"You've done more than enough, just being here with Seth has helped him."

"I love him, I wish...I wish he didn't have to go through this."

"Me too," Belle admitted, staring out the window.

"Why don't you let me watch them while you run to the store and get what you need, when you come back I will install that lock for you."

"Are you sure you don't mind?"

"Not at all."

She took one more drink of her tea and then set her cup in the sink tearing off her list and shoving it into her pocket. She hurried into the dining room where Seth was still eating and kissed the top of his head, moving to kiss Olivias chubby little cheek.

"You two be good for Uncle Alex, okay?"

"Okay."

Seth beamed up at her and she smiled back, as hard as it was being thrust into the life of a mother to the two small children she loved them.

She heard Alex follow her to the front door and stop a few feet away while she dug in her purse for her keys and wallet, having him there with the kids was important to her. His companionship with Seth was priceless but sometimes the way he looked at her made her uneasy.

He looked at her with something dark and haunted burning his gaze, he stared at her like he was breaking into pieces, but he never once brought up what happened in the past or prison. Other than the kids and Maggie he didn't speak to her about anything.

"Are you sure I can't help? just because I'm not working doesn't mean I can't afford it," he offered.

"I do work and I can buy a few things on my own," She replied shoving her wallet into her purse.

"What do you do?" He asked, leaning against the staircase.

She paused standing straighter from pulling on her sneakers and stared at him in surprise.

"Maggie didn't tell you?" She asked

"No."

She waited for a second, her life had been so greatly affected by him and the choices he had made. She had assumed that Maggie had kept him somewhat updated but then maybe he never asked.

"I'm a teacher." She said softly, staring directly at him.

Before he could say anything else, before she said something she would regret she grabbed her sweater and hurried from the house to her car.