Chapter Twenty Seven.

The judge was an older man, still fit for his age with graying hair, he seemed cold and distant as he glanced briefly at Belle then focused on Alex's parents. He looked familiar but Belle couldn't place him, he had piercing blue eyes that almost looked kind before he pushed it away.

Ethan decided to call Belle to the stand first and get it out of the way, convinced the sooner she testified and told her story the better, before his father could muddy up the evidence.

"Miss Whitley, how do you know the Reynolds family?" Ethan asked.

"I was Maggies best friend."

"The mother of Seth and Olivia, correct?"

"Yes."

"Is it safe to say you've been almost like an aunt to these children?" 

"I think so, Maggie and I were close. I was her maid of honor, I was there when Seth was born."

"Okay, and the children have been in your custody since their parents death?"

"Yes, they briefly went to stay with their grandparents but...I got them back," Belle said.

"Did Maggie ever tell you about her will? or what would happen to the children in the event of both parents dying?" He asked digging in his briefcase.

"No, I had no idea."

"Okay, your honor let it be presented to the court a copy of the will stating that in this event the parents..." Ethan paused, choking up slightly. Tears in his eyes as he stared at the paper in his hands.

"Continue Mr. Reynolds, I'm afraid I don't have all day." The judge ordered.

"Right...sorry, in the event that both parents passed this will states that it was the wishes of the parents that both children be awarded to Miss Whitley." Ethan said sniffing a bit.

Belle glanced at Alex who had dropped his head but she knew he was hurting, their mother sat statue still. Her spine stiff a tissue gripped in a knuckle white grip, tears streaming silently down her face her mouth tight lipped. Their father showed no emotion.

"I'll allow it," The judge said. 

Ethan handed a paper over to the judge who examined it quickly before setting it aside and nodding at Ethan to continue.

"Miss Whitley, do you want to obtain full custody of these children?" Ethan asked.

"Yes but I would like to share them, with their family. I would like them to have visits and sleepovers. I want them to know their grandparents and...and their uncles too." Belle said softly.

"No further questions at this time," Ethan said returning to his seat, he watched carefully as their fathers attorney stood.

Belle took a deep breath as the man approached where she sat with a smile, to anyone else it may seem polite but it was sinister and she knew it.

"Miss Whitley, how do you know the Reynolds family?" He asked.

"I was best friends with..."

"No, I'm afraid that's not the truth." He interrupted.

"Objection!" Ethan yelled.

"What grounds?" The judge questioned.

"Leading the witness, she answered this once already he's trying to badger her into changing her answer."

"I hope you have a very good point Mr. Lamont, "The judge said.

"I do your honor."

He turned and went to his briefcase, producing an old newspaper. On the front was a picture of Belle in tears on the courthouse steps.

"Miss Whitley originally met the Reynolds family after she seduced the oldest son Alexander. He was her teacher and Miss Whitley seduced him costing him his job and convincing him to murder her own father."

"That's not true!" Belle cried.

"Objection!" Ethan shot to his feet.

"What grounds?" The judge asked.

"We are not hear to dig up old skeletons, we are here for a custody hearing," Ethan said quickly.

"I agree, Mr. Lamont if your evidence and questions don't pertain to this particular issue I'm afraid I'll have to ask for a closing statement."

"Miss Whitley, what is it you do for a living?" Mr. Lamont asked.

"I'm a teacher."

"Are you married?"

"No sir."

"So, do you fully believe that on your salary you can afford an adequate lifestyle for two young children?"

"Yes, I do. I grew up with very little money and I don't feel money makes a childhood worthwhile. I love them I could care for them."

"Do you have children of your own?" 

"No."

"Are you perhaps fighting this battle Miss Whitley for the purpose of obtaining children?"

"No, I love those children but I would do anything to have Maggie here. I wish it was me instead of her, I would give anything I had for them to have her back." Belle said, tears building in her own eyes.

She glanced at Ethan who gave her a small hand gesture to calm down, she knew she needed to stay calm, reigned in and composed but the biting questions scraped against raw nerves.

"Do you get a large sum of money if you obtain custody of these children?"

"Yes but I don't want it. They can have the money," Belle said motioning at Alex's parents.

"I'm afraid that's not why we're here, no further questions." 

He went back to his seat and leaned over to whisper in Alex's dads ear, his dad nodded in agreement.

"Miss Whitley, step down." The judge said without looking up from a paper he was reading.

She stood on shaky legs and carefully walked back to her seat sinking down and trying not to break down. Her hands shook as she carefully folded them in her lap. A warm firm hand squeezed her shoulder and she turned to see Ethans wife giving her a reassuring smile.

The judge stood rather suddenly and so did everyone else, he looked up as if just realizing court was in session.

"Court will now take a brief recess, we will rejoin here in forty five minutes."

He exited the room and Belle looked at Ethan who shrugged before sitting and opening his briefcase.

"Is that normal?" She asked.

"No but judge McKinney has always been a little eccentric. I remember him at Christmas parties half wasted wearing a Santa suit handing out gifts."

"I blew it, didn't I?" She asked softly.

"I don't know. I just don't know."