Chapter 80

"Scarlet, please wake up." There was a whisper and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't see who it was. It was a female voice and a faint recognition passed through me saying that it was Lily.

Where was I? Why was she sobbing? I heard her sniff again. "I know it is going to be tough for you, but you need to know that we are all there with you."

"Lily, come on now." It was James. He sounded gruff and his voice was filled with emotion. "You are literally crying on her face. You should come here when you are okay."

"How can I be okay when my best friend is like this?" I heard Lily shout.

I tried my best to open my eyes to look at her, to tell her that I was fine despite the pain I endured. But my limbs felt heavier than usual. I couldn't even shake my head let alone talk to her. I felt exhausted as if I were sedated.

"I know, baby." James said, and I could imagine him pulling her into his arms to console her. I felt relieved. I hated to see her cry especially because of me.

"I want my girl back with me." Nick hiccupped and I could hear him rub his nose. "I had told her everything... literally everything... But she didn't even give me a clue."

"Nick, we all know why she did what she did." James said, trying to console both of them the best he could. "Please don't blame her for the sins she didn't make."

James was a guy who always came to my rescue even when my own friends played blame games with me. He was like an elder brother who constantly looked after me and I was eternally grateful for him.

"I miss her." Lily whispered while I heard James sigh.

"We all do, Lil." He said. "She's very strong and we know it. She's going to make it even if the doctors say otherwise."

Doctors? Was I in a hospital?

That was when the old memories came back to me. The race, the fights, the stabbing... everything. Suddenly, my head started to hurt more than I could bare. My breathing became ragged as I felt a sharp pain shoot up in my head.

And then, at that moment, I saw Ashley walking towards Dad with a knife in her hand. Her eyes were dangerous and mad as she went ahead with the knife stabbing my Dad over and over again. When her work was done there, her eyes landed on mine, just before I fainted.

Again.

---

Loud shouts woke me up. Someone was shouting and for a second, it was hard to understand where the hell I was. A part of me thought that it was back from that night where I was shouting and begging Ashley to let my people go while she could kill me.

"Haven't I told you enough times already?" The person raised his voice. He slammed his hands on the walls and a loud thud was heard. "I told you to tell me if anything was bothering you. But you never did! I blame it all on you, Scarlet Stone!"

"Luke, calm down." Another person suggested and my mind wobbled again.

Was Luke shouting? At me out of all people? He hardly showed any signs of emotion let alone anger. He was a guy who kept things to himself rather than sharing it out. Now, what had happened?

"Don't tell me to calm down, Daniel." Luke almost screamed again. "She was the one with whom I was training every fucking day! Not you!"

"Luke..." I could almost imagine Dan running his hands on his forehead. "Come on, buddy. No one knew anything about it."

"She resembles my little sister, Dan, who if I may add died of leukemia. Just like my sister, I couldn't protect her." The hospital stools screeched as he sat on it. "Look at her, she looks awful now. Those stitches... will they make her look like before? God!"