Chapter 14

There was an ear deafening whistle that made all the racers push their foot up the accelerator. About fifteen cars which were aligned, moved together and I kept my eyes on the red striped car.

My heart had started to painfully pound as I saw them go one behind the other. Robert was at the sixth place, I had counted and seemingly, he was doing pretty well. Two cars behind him, yellow and brown colored, appeared to have a mini fight of their own, dashing each other, instead of racing.

"Scar?" Robert's voice boomed on the Bluetooth again. "You there?"

"Huh?" I asked perplexed at the voice again. I had to get used to this thing at least for tonight. "Yeah, yeah."

"So," He drawled. I knew he was in a good mood, not the one for the game he was in. "How was your day?"

"What the hell is wrong with you, idiot?" I almost screamed. "Do you know what is happening behind you?"

I put my hands on my head, thinking about what might happen if the two cars accelerated just a little more to dash the car Rob was in.

Of course, Rob just laughed. "Don't pay attention to what is happening behind me."

"Sure, I should!" I argued back. "You were the one who told me to keep my eyes on all sides of my car."

"So my car is your car now?" I could almost see him smirk.

"Rot in hell." He laughed some more. Then I realized the situation he was in and I started to panic at the weight those three words held.

Just then, the two cars who were bickering behind, as anticipated accelerated to reach Robert and hit him in the back.

"No!" I shouted, reaching for the railing to hold me still. My legs were crumbling down the ground and I was scared. The crowd below me, gave an 'oh' as they comprehended what they just saw.

I had heard stories of how the earpieces were responsible for the racers' accident and some of them couldn't live with the guilt and had killed themselves. I didn't want to be one of them and I didn't want Robert to die.

Robert's car tumbled and circled around, making me hold my breath. It circled for two whole seconds within which the other cars zoomed past him.

"My ear, love." I heard him say. "You don't have to shout. What should I do now?"

"What do you mean, what you should do?" I asked, clearly pissed at his question. "Keep your head in the game! You are beaten by two cars now!"

"The cars that dashed, where are they?" He asked still circling.

"They are the ones which zoomed past you!" I screamed back. If anyone saw me here shouting and throwing fits up in the air, they would think I was crazy.

"I don't know which is the correct way to put the break." He said in a small voice. Though he seemed cool enough, I was sure he was stressed just as I was. "By the way, stop shouting."

"Breaks! Now!" I shouted again. "Now!"

He did as I just said. He was now facing the actual direction of the track and I was proud that I had done the right thing at the right time.

"That was nice!" He became steady just as another car went past him.

"Now race!"

He did as I told him. Though I was not actually in the race, sitting behind the wheel, I told him when to hit the brakes and when to accelerate. The only thing I was surprised was, he didn't comment on anything that I said. He followed what I told him, just as he promised.