Chapter 76

I had to go to the bank to deposit my cheque and get some cash in my hands. Having lost the only income apart from racing was not a good idea. I was running out of bills and I didn't know if I could keep it up.

I heaved a sigh. Things I had lost for the boy who had never once managed to call me. His part of the act was perfectly done and he had nothing to do with me now.

A part of me had imagined the perfect scenario for us to be together. Robert would call me and cry for me to stay in his life. When I would say no, he would climb up the walls of my heart, tear them down and reside next to me, finally making me nod my head to his pleas. I would forgive him like I always did and things would turn around for me. 

But it was not a perfect world.

As I had pondered if he would stay with me, I had no doubts now that he would elope the first chance he had completed this project paired with Ashley.

Just like always.

I wanted to shout at him for leaving me like this when he was responsible for my heart to stutter every time when someone called his name. I wanted him to stay and give me an explanation, though I would shout at him. A part of me wanted to see him try, just for the sake of the word love he had uttered that night.

Was it that easy to give up on someone whom he said that he had loved? But then again, he was just another con-artist playing his role for money. And I knew Ashley paid him well.

But then again, if he had even tried to say things, would I believe it? Was anything that was coming out of his mouth true? What was true now?

Robert and Dad were the same, sewn from the same material. They toyed with my heart and in the end, both left it broken. The fact that they had kept me in darkness as I maneuvered according to the plans they had, was something that cracked my shell in two. How could they be so selfish with me?

Even when Robert knew that I had my past dealing with Ashley, he hadn't utter a word about it. I had caught them talking with her a few times and yet he had dodged it. And I had believed everything he had said not even having a slightest doubt about his outside race activities.

Unlike his other secrets, he had carefully kept it away from me. Perhaps after he knew how deeper I could dig, he was a little cautious about his other secrets. I wondered how many more were left to kill me slowly.

I had believed him, professionally... and personally.

I shook my head no. It had been a week since that awful day, yet I was grieving like I had lost a limb. I needed to focus and make sure that I was giving a tough fight for Ashley.

I still went to the tracks for my conditioning, but always hid behind Luke asking him to train along with me. I was sure he had picked up that we had fought like always. Little did he know that it was at its peak.

My whole world had come crashing down and I left like I was already dead inside. What could that race do to me now?

I had understood the need for Ashley to take revenge on my family, but what about Robert? Why had he chased her dreams to ruin my life for her? Was it always about the money? It always was about money, wasn't it? The way he said that he had seduced me into his traps, made me wonder what kind of tricks he had used on me.

I felt as if I had lost everyone in such a short period of time.

"Hey." I heard a familiar voice.

I had sat down on a park bench and I didn't know how I had reached there. Lately it seemed like I was getting lost in my head to know about my surroundings. When I turned around, I saw that it was Monica with a few bags in her hands. She looked sad, but better than how I had left her last.