Chapter 59

The moment I saw him, the world seemed to spin, and everything seemed to get back in its place. His curly hairs, the dark eyes, his constant need to observe, his loneliness, everything made sense.

He looked at me, confusion etched on his face, trying to understand what I was telling him. His face, for once looked fresh and I involuntarily thanked the Lords. He would need all his strength for the conversation I wanted to have with him tonight.

"Scarlet, aren't you early today?" Luke asked putting his head out from his bonnet, giving me a sly smile. "Were you missing the tracks that much?" He asked, but when he saw me, his whole expression changed. "Scar? What's wrong?"

Luke came forward, leaving everything that he was doing to make sure I was alright, while the person in question, sat still on the floor, watching me intently. I didn't avert my eyes from Robert, trying my best to let him know that I wanted to talk to him in private. Luke stood between Robert and me, blocking my view.

There were questions I wanted answers for. Though it was not my place to ask him and get answers, I had jumped in too deep not to know now. We were close enough to share a bed and I felt like I deserved that much.

Luke held my arm and made me turn to look at him. He studied me, his eyes never leaving mine as he tried to reveal my layers of truth.

"I'm fine, Luke." I said.

"Please don't do that, you look scarier than usual." Luke smiled. The fact that he had tried to crack a joke to get me laughing was soothing. I smiled back at him, genuinely this time. "There's the smile I was looking for."

"Rob, can I talk to you in private?" I asked, bending to see Robert who was obstructed from my vision by Luke.

At my confession, Luke stood next to me, waiting for the answer. Robert looked away giving a curt nod. He asked for two minutes, putting all his tools back in its place and grabbing a coat from the hook. After his two-minute delay, he stood directly in front of me, looking like he had figured it all out.

"Luke, I'm going to be fine." I said, sparing him a look. At least that was what I hoped.

Luke looked at Robert and me alternatively, still not fully convinced to let me go. "You will call me if you need anything. I repeat, anything. I'm not even kidding about it, Scar."

As I nodded my head, Luke patted my back awkwardly before letting me go. Robert led the way to his car and I didn't protest. He pulled open the car door open for me. I raised my eye brows at his sudden gentleman actions, but didn't voice it out. He ran to the other side and buckled up.

I didn't try to put the seat belt on. I turned towards him, watching him intently. How had I missed all those signals before? It was right in front of me and I over looked it, pretending it to be something else. That meant he knew it all along and played neat with everything.

His curly hair was a mess, his sweat breaking down his forehead as he pulled into the road. I had a fair idea that he had come to know about it. After all, wasn't he good at observing?

His lips were dry, but his eyes were vigilant, monitoring everything in its view. He turned his face towards me, looking crossly at my insane idea of not putting on my seat belt, but he was hesitant to tell anything about it.

It was one of the times I didn't ask him where we were heading to. I was not afraid of him anymore and I knew it was the other way round. Though I was not scared for him, I was terrified of his past.

I had only gotten bits and pieces from others, stitching them all together to see what I had finally found. Though I didn't know if that was the truth, but all of their conversations converged to the same place.