Chapter 30

"You take that shoulder and I'll take this." Robert said to Nick. In the next few minutes, I was carried towards my car, literally dragged by my feet.

The pain was excruciating and all I could think was of Dad. What pain must he have gone through when he limped his?

"Careful now," Robert said.

Lily opened the passenger door for me and I sat on the seat, my legs stretched outwards. A small circle was formed around the car and I started wondering if it was because they cared if I was alright or were they checking out the car.

When I sat on the car, for a moment, I forgot all about my torment and started appreciating the leather seats. As Lily bent over to examine if I had got any bones broken, I took my sweet time to appreciate the car.

The interior was light brown color with all accessories like GPS, music, a small display for when I would take a reverse and a full fledged AC. What more could a girl ask for? 

I marveled if that was the reason why it took one whole day to reach me. Robert saw me watching the car in awe and I could tell that he was impressed. He gave me a small victory smile.

"Is the pain still there?" Nick asked, crouching on the ground, my feet carefully placed on top on his. He gently massaged it. "Looks like there's going to be some swelling."

"We should get you to the school nurse." Lily stood up. "Will you be able to walk till there or should we get the nurse here?"

"I will walk." I said. The thought of the sprain settling when I moved my legs seemed to be a welcomed thought. "And I'm sure it's just a twist."

The group that had formed spread a little wider so as to make some room for me to hobble. I stood on my left leg, my right leg still in the air, scared that it might pull again if I kept it on the ground. I took a deep breath closing my eyes, getting ready to face the pain all over again.

But the pain never came. When I opened my eyes, I was staring into the dark brown ones. I was swept off my feet, in bridal style. Robert smiled at me. "You're as light as a feather. Don't you eat at all?"

My cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "Robert, what are you doing?" I asked, my arms making its way to circle his neck, scared that he might drop me any minute. "Put me down, I can walk."

"You don't want anymore swelling, do you now?" He asked with a lopsided grin on his face.

I just hoped that none of the student body that stood around us took pictures and made them viral. I could see the scar on his forehead clearly now, adorning his eyebrow. If I looked closely enough, I could even count the number of stitches that were put to close the gap - it was exactly four.

"Put me down!" I said a little louder this time, trying to make sense to this guy.

"Fine." He said and released me.

All of a sudden, his hands were not supporting me and he had let go. When I had asked him to put me down, I was expecting more to be gently placed on the ground. But he was the evil twin, who dropped me without any prior warning. Like everyone, my survival instinct took over me and I clung my hands around his neck and stayed dangling frightened to place my feet on the ground.

"Rob-freaking-Bret!" I whisper shouted. My embarrassment knew no bounds and the mere fact that I clung on to him like he was my life line was too shameful for me.

"Dude!" Nick shouted at him for making me go thorough it. "Come Scarlet, I'll carry you."

"No!" I said a little too early than I wanted to lead on. The fact that he-is-just-a-friend phase hadn't gone past me and I didn't want anymore feelings to be developed from my side towards him. Meanwhile I had to make sure that his feelings were not hurt either. "Just, let me... Oh, God!"