[6]

The next morning, court was really different. Abbie wasn't allowed to sit and listen, but she was still in the courthouse. Court started with Cragen coming in to be one of four character witnesses for Olivia.

"Captain Cragen, I have some questions for you." Judge Hall spoke as he looked at Cragen.

"Of course, Sir." Cragen replied. Judge Hall put his glasses on before looking at the legal pad full of questions he had.

"How long have you know Olivia Benson?"

"I have known her for fourteen years. She came to my precinct as an officer and quickly moved up the ranks to a detective."

"When did she tell you that she was expecting?"

"The day after she found out." Cragen spoke, as he kept his eyes on the judge. He didn't want to be disrespectful, but he also wanted to look at Olivia and try to reassure her if possible.

"Did she go on desk duty?"

"Yes, your honor. I only allowed her to go to the ME's office and to run out and get food. She wasn't allowed to investigate with the others."

"Did she ever join you at the bar, as Mr. Stabler said she did?"

"Olivia was always exhausted by the end of her shift. Alex would come pick her up and they'd go home together. She also didn't have money to waste on drinks before she found out she was pregnant."

"How would you describe Olivia as a person in general?"

"She is an amazing person, your honor. She is always understanding and very protective of those that come to her for help. Olivia is caring and I'm more than thankful that I have her on my team. She means the world to the squad, and seeing her so scared and anxious has broken our hearts."

"Scared?" Judge Hall sighed.

"Scared that she was going to get her baby taken away from her. Just like everything else has." Cragen frowned, as he finally turned and looked at Olivia. She was in tears, and she gave him a weak smile when she noticed he was looking at her.

"Thank you, Captain. Ms. Cabot can proceed."

///

After Cragen was questioned, the rest of the crew was spread out over the next day. By Thursday, it was time for Elliot's team to bring in his character witness. Well the two he managed to get. But the whole feel of court on Wednesday was changed when Elliot's mother showed up. 

"Please state your name." Elliot's lawyer spoke.

"Bernadette Stabler."

"Mrs. Stabler, what is your relation to Mr. Stabler?"

"He's my son." Bernie sighed, before glancing over at Olivia. Bernie was pushed away way before Olivia and Elliot decided to get married, but she always did keep in contact with Olivia, even if Elliot didn't know.

"Can you tell us about your son?"

"Like what?" Bernie asked.

"Tell us about him as a whole." The lawyer spoke, but he was going to regret it.

"He's violent, disrespectful, he talks down to anyone he thinks is less than him, and he's a cheater." Bernie spoke. Elliot slammed his hands against the table as Olivia looked at her former mother in law with wide eyes.

"Mrs. Stabler, you were asked her to be a character witness on behalf of your son." Judge Hall spoke, and Bernie nodded.

"I was, but I'm here to tell the truth about my son. He only recently reached back out to me, and it was only to help him pull his son away from the woman he claimed to love once. Judge Hall, Elliot used to treat me like his servent when he was younger. He would hit me when he got angry. I don't even know how he became a cop with the record he had when he was younger. I know that I was supposed to talk him up and make it seem like he is the right person to raise Cade, but he isn't. Olivia is."

Elliot started to yell and even tried to jump over the table to get to his mother. Bernie sat still on the stand and watched quietly. She watched as her son's lies broke right then and there. Everyone could see him for who he really was.

A monster.

///

"Bernie!" Olivia exclaimed, as she quickly walked from the courthouse with Cade's carrier in hand and a large smile on her lips. 

After Elliot's outburst, she got what she wanted. Judge Hall had Elliot sign away his rights and he would never get custody of Cade no matter what.

"I told you that everything would be alright." Bernie smiled gently, as she turned around and looked at Olivia.

"I didn't expect that to happen. I didn't think that one outburst from Elliot would cause me to keep Cade." Olivia spoke softly.

"Olivia, Elliot shouldn't be a father. He shouldn't be in charge of raising a child to be a good person. You are the best thing for Cade, and I'm sure of that."

"Bernie, please know that I want you involved in Cade's life. He's your grandson, and you are the reason why he's going to be safe in my arms forever."

"I'll make sure that I can be there for as many of his firsts as possible. And to start, Olivia... I'd like you and Cade to come stay with me."

"Bernie-"

"My house is too big for just me. And Cade can grow up on the beach."

"Bernie, I'd love to say yes... but it's so far away from the city and away from Alex."

"She can come too if she wants." Bernie smiled, and Olivia shook her head.

"Thank you so much, but I can't. But I promise to make trips out there as often as possible. Cade will know you... uh but I have to get home. He's going to need to eat soon and I promised Alex that I'd order in dinner to thank her."

"You better keep that promise, Olivia Stabler."

"I go by Benson now. No reason for me to allow my toxic ex to still control apart of me."

"You are going to continue being an amazing mother, Olivia. I'm sure of it."