[18]

"Liv-"

"Elliot, there is no reason why you should be over here talking to me. You should go over and tell your wife the truth so she isn't living a lie the rest of her life. Especially since her husband tried to get back together with his ex wife." Olivia sighed before stopping the swing. She lifted Clayton up before walking away from Elliot. He quickly followed her to the bench where she had sat the diaper bag, before sitting down beside her.

"Olivia, I love you." Elliot spoke as he watched as she snuggled Clayton close and avoided looking at him.

"I don't love you anymore, Elliot. And I don't think I ever will again. Now, go back to your wife and leave us alone." Olivia whispered.

"Are you happy, Liv?" Elliot asked weakly, as he looked down at his hands and played with his wedding band.

"I'm really happy, El. I'm dating the love of my life and I have two kids... we are even trying for a baby together." Olivia breathed.

"I want you so badly."

"Yeah, well get over it. Leave me alone." Olivia huffed before standing with Clayton. She grabbed the diaper bag before moving to where Cade was playing happily with his half sister.

"Baby." Olivia smiled weakly.

"Hi, Mama! This is Elizabeth, but she likes being called Beth!" Cade exclaimed, and Olivia nodded slowly.

"Nice to meet you, Beth. Uh, Cade, we have to get going. I'm not feeling well." Olivia replied.

"Oh no! I gotta go!" Cade exclaimed, before quickly pecking Beth's cheek. Olivia swallowed hard as she followed her son towards the parking lot. She eventually caught up with him before grabbing his hand.

Olivia got her sons into their seats before driving back towards the house. She was in tears, and everything got worse for her when she heard her son start to talk about Beth.

"Mama, she's so pretty." Cade said with a dreamy sigh.

"Who?" Olivia asked.

"Beth... I wanna play with her again." He smiled.

"Buddy, there is something about her that you need to know." Olivia spoke, as she came to a stop light and slowed down.

"What?"

"She's your half sister." Olivia breathed.

"She's my what? Mama-"

"Her Daddy is your Daddy, Cade. I'm sorry that you found out this way, but you won't be playing with Beth again. Okay?"

"NO! THAT'S NOT OKAY!" Cade yelled.

///

Cade was beyond upset the rest of the day. Olivia let him hang out by himself to hopefully calm down enough to sleep. But it wasn't working well. So Olivia called her boyfriend and asked if he could come home as soon as he could to get her son to calm down.

Once Rafael was home, he moved to Cade's room and knocked on the door. From inside, Cade yelled for his mother to go away, even if he didn't realize it was his mother's boyfriend instead.

"Cade, it's me. Rafa." Rafael spoke, as he opened the door. Cade sat up from where he had flung himself onto the floor and threw his fit.

"Rafa, I hate Mama." Cade spat.

"Why do you hate her?"  Rafael asked, as he shut the door before walking over and sitting down on the rug.

"She told me that I can't play with my best friend! She said that she's my sister, but she isn't!"

"What was her name, Cade?" Rafael asked, as he gently brushed a few tears off of Cade's cheeks.

"Elizabeth... but she goes by Beth!"

"Buddy, she is your sister."

"No!"

"Cade, listen to me." Rafael ordered, and Cade huffed as he crossed his arms over his chest before nodding hesitantly.

Rafael thought for several moments before speaking again.

"Your Mama was married before you were even in her belly. He was really mean to her and hurt her really bad. So your Mama and that man decided to not be together anymore. She found out that you were in her belly, not long after Beth's mom found out about her." Rafael explained. 

"Who's the man?" Cade sighed.

"His name is Elliot-"

"The guy from my party?!"

"From your birthday party?" Rafael mused, and Cade nodded quickly.

"Yeah! He came to see me on my birthday! Mama didn't seem happy when he was around."

"It's because he hurt her. Cade, don't hate your Mama. She's just trying to protect you."

"But-"

"No, Cade. I want you to go and apologize to your Mama. She has tried her hardest to be the best parent to you and to prevent you from getting hurt. And Beth may be nice, but her Daddy isn't."

"You are a better Daddy than him, huh?" Cade sniffled, as he quickly threw himself at Rafael. 

Rafael looped his arms around the small boy's body before holding him close.

"I try to be a father to you and Clayton..."

"Can I call you Daddy? I want a Dad." Cade sniffled.

"Um, yeah. Go ahead... I love you so much, kid."

"I love you too, Daddy."

///

Cade didn't apologize to his mother that night because he was so exhausted. He ended up eating his weight in macaroni before falling asleep on the couch. Rafael put him into his bed and helped Olivia to put Clayton down before they went to bed.

"Is he okay?" Olivia asked, as she grabbed a t-shirt from her dresser.

"Cade? He's good. Uh, but he did ask me something."

"What did he ask you?" Olivia asked, as she watched as Rafael sank down onto the edge of the bed.

"If he could call me Daddy. Like, he even said that he wanted a Dad."

"What brought that up?" Olivia mused.

"We talked about Elliot, Abbie, and Beth. He didn't seem to believe me at first when I told him about these things. But eventually he calmed down, hugged me super tight, and asked if I could be his Dad. I did say yes, and I hope that it's okay."

"It's good, Rafa. He's got the father figure in his life that he deserves." Olivia breathed tearfully.

"Babe, don't cry." Rafael spoke.

"It's hard, because I still hate myself for not just giving in."

"Giving in to what?" Rafael asked.

"Giving in to Elliot. Letting him share custody of me... then Cade wouldn't be this upset. He would have grown up with Beth. He probably would be much happier with having less time with me."