[31]

Olivia couldn't believe that the doctors already seemed to be giving up on Alex's daughter. She wasn't even a day old yet, and they already thought she'd pass away. 

"Did they really say all these things to you?" Rafael questioned since his fiancee wasn't saying anything. She was too shocked by what her best friend had just said.

"They just left telling me all of this. They asked if I wanted you here, Liv... but I told them that I'll have to deal with this by myself, eventually." Alex frowned.

"I-i'm so sorry, Alex." Olivia finally whispered.

"Maybe I'm just not meant to be a mom. I'll just be the coolest Aunt that your kids have ever had." Alex sighed.

"No. You are going to be a mom, Alex. Even if your kid doesn't make it. You don't just stop being a mom when you lose a kid. Now, I'm going to go talk to the baby's doctor. You start working on a name for her, because she will need one when she gets released." Olivia spoke quickly, before turning and walking from the room. Rafael called after her, but Olivia ignored him and walked straight to the nurse's station.

"I need to talk to the doctor working on Alexandra Cabot's baby." Olivia spoke loudly.

///

Olivia looked at the charts and in front of her and didn't know what most of them meant. All of her babies had been healthy and didn't need any sort of support after they were born, so this all looked like a foreign language to her.

"Her lungs, even if they are closer to being fully developed compared to other babies in the NICU, they still aren't fully developed. She has pneumonia, a bowel obstruction, along with a small brain bleed. She's sick and incredibly weak. We do not know if she'll get an infection when we take her into surgery, or if her brain bleed will ever clear up. She is worse off than some of our smaller premies, and we have to accept the truth that she may not be leaving this hospital."

"This little girl, she means the world to me and her mother. Alex had a miscarriage last year, and it destroyed her, so she can't lose another baby. I will... personally pay for the best specialists in this country to make sure this girl lives. I want her to see her first birthday, to take her first steps, to be held and loved on by her mother. So don't give up. Fight for that little girl like you fight for all of the other premies. And I will make sure your life is a living hell if you dare give up too soon. Do you understand?" Olivia spoke passionately, as she slid her chair back and stood.

The doctors looked at her in shock for a moment before nodding.

"Yes, ma'am. We will get in contact with other doctors and see what we can figure out." One spoke.

"Good. Now, I think you should allow Alex to meet her daughter. Because if things really go to hell, she needs to at least see her daughter in person."

///

Rafael watched as Olivia fought for her niece. How she paid for all of the specialists to at least see the baby and to look at her charts, and she even called Alex's insurance company to make sure that everything for the baby was covered. A small portion of it wasn't, but thankfully most of the medical bills were covered.

Olivia moved the kids around at the house and made room for Alex to move in with them after she was released, and she didn't give up even when everyone else really started too.

"I think I finally figured out her name." Alex spoke, as she walked out of her room and towards where Olivia sat on the couch with Lilah sleeping in her arms. It has been three months since Alex's daughter was born, and she was still weak but starting to improve. Her brain bleed had been resolved and she didn't develop an infection after her bowel surgery, thankfully.

"Really? I thought she was never going to have a name. The hospital has been pestering us every time we went into the hospital for you to name her." Olivia whispered, as she looked down at her daughter.

"It took awhile, but I feel like naming her isn't going to just hurt me because I really think she'll be coming home soon." Alex smiled.

"I think so too." Olivia replied softly.

"Ellie Mae... then she and Lilah have the same middle name and I kinda liked the idea of that. I hope that they will be best friends when they are older... I hope it's okay that-" Alex started to ramble, so Olivia stopped her and smiled.

"First of all, it is an adorable name. And second of all, I don't own the rights to the name Mae, so go ahead and use it. And I hope that they are just as close as we are... now, I think once Lilah wakes up, we should head to the hospital and see Miss Ellie, okay?"

"I really miss her. So I'm going to head up now and then see you in a bit."

"Sounds good. And if you need anything, text me because I don't think if Lilah wakes up now she'll ever finish her nap for the day."

///

When Olivia arrived at the hospital, she went straight to the NICU and got into her usual garb before heading in. She stopped short when she saw Alex sitting in a rocking chair, her shirt adjusted a bit so that Ellie was laying against her exposed skin.

"Alex?" Olivia whispered, as she slowly moved over to the chair and smiled as she squatted down beside her.

"They are letting me hold her, Liv... and look at her vitals. They are getting so much stronger. It's amazing. And look at her hair. It's getting thicker and it's so freaking blonde." Alex grinned as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"See, I told you that you would be a mom. And to the most beautiful little girl."