Chapter 38

Everyone has left the party. Richard and Margret were going to stay to help clean, but their son was very tired. Octavia and I sit on one couch silently while Bellamy talks to my mother. There are maids cleaning around us. This makes me sick, I want to help them clean up.

"Your daughter has decided to make me look like a fool in my own house party." Bellamy says to my mother who gasps in shock. Octavia mutters the word 'snitch' under her breath, making me smile a little.

"Is this funny to you, Clarke?" My mother asks me and my smile disappears.

"No... no of course not, Mother. I apologize, Bellamy. I did not mean to make you look like a fool." I apologize. I am not lying. I didn't mean to make him look like a fool, that was a just a bonus.

"Yes, I know you are sorry. That is why you aren't going for tea with them." Bellamy deciares and I try my hardest to not say anything. I tried.

"What is your problem? I am trying to help our family by getting investors for your stupid project! I should have never agreed to marry someone so egotistical and rude. Start looking at what other people have to say and you will get so much farther." I raise my voice. Bellamy stares at me.

"I was going to deal with this in the morning, but I will do it now." Bellamy stands and grabs the arm of William, "Get me rope and a whip." Everyone in the room gets tense.

"What are you going to do, Bellamy?" My mother asks and Bellamy gets his coat on.

"I am taking care of someone who is messing with my wife." Lexa...

"No... no, Bellamy it isn't true. It isn't true. I didn't sneak out with her. Punish me for making you look like a fool, not her. Please." I run up to him and grab his arm. He pulls away from me while he walks outside. Everyone follows him.

We all follow him to the stables, I am begging as we walk for him not her hurt her. Before we reach the stables, I see Lexa walk out the doors with a confused look. She must have heard my scream.

"Can I help you?" Lexa asks and Bellamy nods to a couple of men who walk over to Lexa with sad eyes.

"Hold out your wrists." Bellamy says and Lexa looks at me then Bellamy. I am holding back tears.

"Why? I didn't do anything." Lexa says and Bellamy shakes his head. The rest of the crew starts gathering around. Lexa gives them all a look, telling them not to fight whatever is about to happen.

"You are the reason our neighbors son ripped his pants. They have asked that we punish you how we please." Bellamy says and Lexa is confused.

"No... no they didn't say that." I walk over to Bellamy who glares at me while he mutters.

"Keep your mouth shut or she will have to deal with more lashings." Lexa just steps forward and puts her hands out.

"Okay. Lets get this over with." The men start tying Lexa wrists, "How many?"

"Four." Bellamy answers and Lexa turns to Luna, who nods. Then makes her way to stand next to me. Lexa gets brought over to a pole, where the rope is tied. Lexa kneels down with her back to everyone. It kills me because it seems like she has done this before.

I feel someone's hand on my arm. I go to move my arm away, but it is just Raven. Her touch is calming. Bellamy moves his arm back and slashes the whip at Lexa's back. The loud sound of the whip hitting Lexa's body is agonizing, but what is worse is the yell Lexa lets out.

"Stop!" I yell and go to run to Lexa. Luna grabs me and holds me back while Bellamy hits her with the whip again. Everyone looks away from Lexa. It seems like a sign of respect not to see her weak like this, "Please stop!" I cry out to Bellamy who just hits her again.