Chapter 39

Raymond gave me a hug before walking back downstairs. I really hope his sister reveals her pregnancy soon. I hate lying to him.

I looked at my phone and saw Briana had called me four times. There was so much to update her on, but she would never understand, nor could she know about this world I'm now involved in. She would honestly think I've picked up drugs.

I sent her a text message telling her I've been swamped with school and still adjusting to everything over here and that I would call her soon. I really didn't want to lose Bri as friend, and I hoped she would hang on just a little bit longer.

I took naps back to back all day. I didn't realize how overworked my body was, including the sex last night. I woke up around five and saw a text from Monroe.

Call me.

I clicked on his contact and called his number. He answered after a couple of rings. I didn't realize how much I was anticipating to hear his voice.

"Hello, I thought you might have been too embarrassed to talk to me again after last night." He chuckled. I smiled feeling my cheeks blush.

"I've been asleep like all day." I laughed.

"Damn I was that good?" I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Ha-ha. Don't flatter yourself too much." I grinned.

"How do you feel?" He asked.

"A little sore." I answered.

"Was I too rough?" The concern in his voice made butterflies come into my stomach.

"No, you were perfect. I only bled a little." I lied looking at my sheet less mattress.

"I forgot that virgins bleed." He said.

"Monroe!" I blushed not wanting to acknowledge it. He laughed softly.

"It's okay, nobody is around."

"Still, jesus." I laughed. Suddenly my aunt walked in with a face of sadness. Something I hadn't seen her wear in a long time. She was always smiling.

I turned my head in confusion, "What's wrong Aunt Dana?" I asked. Monroe got quiet as he listened too.

"Seven, I have terrible news. And I'm so sorry," She rambled.

"What is it?" I gasped a little. Tears started to fall down her cheeks.

"What is it." I said sternly wanting to get this over with, I hate long pauses especially when someone is delivering bad news.

"Your father, he-"

"What about him?" I asked frozen in the spot I was sitting. My chest started to fill with anxiety and my eyes grew wide as I searched her face for something, anything, but I only found hopelessness.

"Seven," Monroe called to me. I looked down at the phone for a second then brought my eyes back to aunt Dana who wouldn't tell me. She continued to cry.

"Fuck I can't handle this just tell me!" I yelled.

"He was murdered." She cried.

My jaw fell open. My heart felt like it was physically breaking. I know my father abandoned us, but I still had good memories with him, he is my father. It doesn't matter what terms you're on with someone or how much you've convinced yourself that you truly hate them, when something as sudden and tragic as this happens, you experience things you've never felt. Old bandaged wounds that never healed always resurface eventually, with a horrible infection, and this, was my infection.

"Seven I'm on my way." I heard Monroe say. I couldn't even responded as tears started to fall down my cheeks.

"By who?" I asked swallowing the lump that formed in my throat making it hard to talk. "Who could do this?"

"I don't know, I just know your mother can't possibly make it through this sober." She cried. I put my head to my hands.

"Seven I'm so sorry." She continued to cry. I shifted my body to turn away from her, I'm in disbelief. I'm sad, I'm angry. I have so many feelings that I can't seem to wrap my mind around.

Suddenly Monroe knocked on the balcony door aggressively making my aunt jump.

"Who the hell?" She asked scared.

"It's just Monroe." I said wiping the tears off my face going to open the door.

"Does he just do this all the time?" She looked confused.

"I invite you in." I said in a quiet voice still trying to hold back my tears. Monroe stood there towering over me with a white T-shirt and gray sweatpants. His face is written in concern. He walked towards my aunt and looked deep into her eyes.

"Dana I need you to forget seeing me in here, you told Seven about her father and now you will give her time to grieve. Also you're going to see me around here a lot, and you will be fine with it."

She nodded her head and sadly stood up, "Seven, again I'm so sorry." I shook my head in response pulling my knees to my chest. I thought about every good memory I had with my father and I couldn't help but cry. I hated to cry, but I couldn't stop the tears from coming. Monroe wrapped his arms around me tightly resting his head on top of mine.

"I know it hurts baby." He said rubbing my arm slightly. I cried and cried until my throat was raw and my eyes were swollen.

I finally decided to sit up seeing Monroe's shirt completely soaked on one side. "I'm sorry." I said gesturing towards it.

"Don't be." He answered looking into my eyes.

"I just don't get it. He wasn't there for me when I was raising myself and supporting my own mom because she couldn't get off the drugs or alcohol that he got her on, and I always said to hell with him, but now that he's dead I feel broken." I sighed.

Monroe nodded his head. "I know, but the child in you is hurting. "

"He left when I was eight." I frowned.

"My mom disappeared when I was eight." He said with no expression as he stared off at the wall in front of him.

"Monroe I'm sorry, I hated my dad and I'm heartbroken, I can't even imagine how you felt. This must seem so silly." Monroe loved his mother and she was forced to leave against her will. My dad left by choice because he cared more about drugs than his family.

"Don't compare our pain, you have every right to hurt. I've had over a hundred years to get over mine."

A knock came at the door. "Come in." I sniffled. Raymond walked in looking a little shocked to see Monroe. Monroe shifted slightly, but didn't make any remarks.

"Hey sorry to bother you, I heard what happened and I just wanted to give you my condolences. Not that it helps. You're safe with him here. If you need anything I'm downstairs." He nodded.

"Thanks." Monroe said, except it wasn't sarcastic this time. It was genuine. I looked at him giving him a half smile.

"Raymond? Could you bring me my sheets out of the dryer?" I asked as he walked out of the door. He gave me a half smile before nodding his head.

"Of course."

I crawled up beside Monroe and laid my head on his chest. "Thank you for being here for me."

"You'll never be alone. As long as I can i'll be here till your hurt is gone." He said making tears form in my eyes. I wrapped my arms around him tightly trying to fight them.