Chapter 18

"I am a vampire, Seven."

I froze not taking my eyes off of him, my face was written in confusion and disbelief, however everything was clicking together.

"You're kidding?" I asked waiting for that same sarcastic smile, but it never came. In fact he stood there with his hands in his pockets towering over me as we stood two feet apart. His face didn't change.

"Okay, if you're a 'vampire,' " I said using air quotes, "How are you in the sun right now?" 

"I was born a human."

I stood there not knowing what to say.
"A human? L-like me?"

"No a different kind."

I stared back getting even more confused.

"Now that time I was lying." He chuckled.

"This is not funny I'm so..." I started not even knowing how to describe everything.

"Confused, in disbelief, scared, all those fun things right?" He asked.

"Oh no, I'm not scared of you. I don't know why but I'm not." I answered. Im not scared of him. If Monroe was planning on hurting me he would've done it when I was naive. He kissed me yesterday, and I never felt scared once.

"Why aren't you scared of me?" He asked confused walking closer to me.

"I don't know, nothing tells me I should be." I looked into his eyes deeply. His lip started to twitch into a smile, but he stopped himself.

"You should be Seven. I'm a killer. Vampires feed on humans."

"If you wanted to kill me you would have, or any of those students back at school, especially Allison. Besides all I've seen you do is protect me." His hand brushed my cheek.

"Oh seven. You're too stubborn for your own good." He sighed then smiled making me laugh, "And I do want to kill Allison however, It's too much work to compel everyone and get rid of the body.." 

"Let's not ruin this you were doing so good." I sighed making him chuckle, "But maybe I am."

He then kissed the top of my head softly.

"So, does that mean your brothers and sister...are..."

"Bingo." He said walking me back to the car.

"Oh my God I'm so stupid." I said mortified that I called a vampire a bitch.

"She wouldn't have touched you. I would've killed her." He chuckled.

"But we weren't...like this at that time." I laughed.

"Doesn't matter. She can sense how I feel, how you feel,"

"She can read my emotions?" I asked shocked.

"So can I." He smirked. I froze pushing him off me.

"You've known this whole time I've been on to you, how cute I thought you were? You know all of this?" I demanded.

"I can't read your mind, unless you allow me to, but yes I noticed your heart beat and how it accelerates when I look towards you, talk to you...kiss you.." His voice said breathlessly. I was shocked and so embarrassed. 

"That's how you've heard all my conversations from across the room? You can hear my heart beat, oh God this is so embarrassing." I placed my hands over my eyes making him laugh.

"I loved it."

"or you could've thought I was a freak." My voice was muffled under my hands. He pulled them off my face.

"I could never think you're a freak seven, I mean for you're only a virgin."

I looked up at him shocked and punched his arm causing him to burst out in laughter.

"Don't start." I warned climbing into his car. He got into the driver's seat and looked towards me.

"Listen, it is critical you don't tell anyone what you know for your safety. If too many people found out it wouldn't be good for the vampires that do live here. We'd have to compell everyone and relocate, some vampires may want to rebel and wreck havoc on your human town in order to protect their own, so let's just keep this secret." He said, "Which is why our lovely genius Raymond is extremely fucked up for having you ask me this question in public, of all places."

"I'd never tell anyone Monroe. In Raymond's defense I don't think he knew where I would ask you.. and if I knew it would've endangered you or myself I would've chose a more private time.. I just wasn't ready for what I heard." I said. He looked at me shooting me a half smile exposing only one dimple to appear.

"It's not your fault love, I can't say I blame you, but I trust you."

"And what is compelling? You said it as a verb. Not an adjective." I asked confused.

"Seven i'll answer all of your questions, I promise, just digest the information I've already given you." He sighed placing his hand on my thigh causing the spot to heat up and the butterflies to return.

"It's accelerating..." He sang turning out of the driveway.

"Oh my god." I groaned while he chuckled softly.

We made it back to school right as first period was over. Students started flooding out of the building. Monroe and I got out of the car and he walked beside me. Students were staring at us and Monroe wrapped his left arm tightly around my waist. I smiled walking with him. His sister was leaning against the brick wall and rolled her eyes.

"Don't worry about her. It has nothing to do with you, it's the fact I care for a human."

"That doesn't make me feel any better." I sighed.

"Well you'll be sad all day if you let her dictate your feelings." He said.

We bumped into Rachel who looked down at Monroe's arm around my waist then looked back up to my face. Her eyes were saying 'what the fuck.'

Monroe could sense her reaction and he chuckled quietly under his breath.

"Hey Seven, where we're you first hour?" She asked ignoring Monroe who put his hands in his pockets and stood there waiting.

"Oh I slept in." I said waving it off

"Where were you Cittadino. Did you sleep in too?" She asked annoyed, causing him to laugh.

"I was out sucking the blood of your entire family." He smiled. Rachel made a face of disgust and i looked at him wide eyed.

"Kidding!" He said rolling his eyes sarcastically.

"Well, see you at lunch." She finished walking away from us.

"You are having too much fun with this." I scolded.

Monroe let out a laugh as we entered the hallway. His fingers intertwined with mine making me smile.