Chapter 2

It's been two days since my aunt called me and the anxious feeling in my stomach was only growing. I'll be heading up to Nebraska tomorrow and I have no idea what to expect. She's already got into contact with my school, all my files and transcripts have been transfered to this new school, Courtside Heights Highschool. I have mixed emotions about leaving my childhood home. I often find myself reminiscing on what could've....should've.... been.

I walked down the familiar stair case to the familiar living room, it's been hitting me this week that soon, nothing would be familiar to me.

"Ugh it's spoiled." My mom scoffed in disgust slamming the milk carton on the table. She then looked up at me tightening her robe and frowned.

"What?" I questioned.

"You're just so grown up. It went by so fast." She cocked her head to the side giving me a fake smile.

"That's what happens when you're asleep for most of it." I sighed.

"Fuck you seven." She rolled her eyes. "Are you excited about going to your aunts?" She asked. I made a face of confusion. I still can't fathom the fact that she has zero accountability for her actions, maybe I wouldn't be moving if she could put down the bottle? Did she honestly think I would be excited about any of this? Drop it seven. I told myself.

"Yeah I am. I hate this town." I replied.

She laughed pouring dry cereal into her hand, "your dad always did too."

Wait for it...

"That stupid bastard." She added chewing loudly.

There it is.

"Mom shouldn't you be drinking by now or something ?" I scoffed grabbing my gray cardigan, even though it was 98 degrees outside. I always cover up my body with hoodies or jackets, I hate feeling exposed.

"Ha-ha very funny." She rolled her eyes. "But yes, thanks for reminding me."

I shook my head and walked outside. We lived in an old neighborhood with bumpy broke down streets and faded road signs. It looked like the place I grew up, but home wasn't a word I'd use to describe it. It never felt like home.

I walked through the woods down to this little Creek that I always came to escape when I was a little girl. I sat down on a long wooden hollow log, as I did years before, and took everything in. This would be one of the last times I sat here. I smiled at the memories, even the unpleasant ones. This log and this Creek have seen me cry, scream, laugh, I even fell asleep here occasionally until my parents quit arguing long enough to realize that I was gone. One could say this little spot raised me better than my own parents did.

"How did I know I'd find you here?" A familiar female voice said. I looked up and smiled at my childhood best friend Briana.

"You know me entirely too well" I laughed.

She smiled throwing her platinum blonde hair back over her shoulders. Her gray zip up jacket brought out the blue in her eyes. Of course, she was wearing leggings and flip -flops, that's all she'll ever put on.

"Bitch, you look tired." She said scanning my face. "Mommy dearest still must be as wonderful as always."

"You better believe it" I laughed pulling out a cigarette.

"You've got to quit smoking these cancer sticks." She said taking it out of my hand before taking a drag herself. "These shits are unhealthy."

I looked at her dumb causing her to burst into laughter. "I can't stand you." I replied.

"I can't believe you're leaving tomorrow." She stuck out her bottom lip at me.

"Bri you know I have too." I looked down as a frog hopped by slowly monitoring his movements before hopping to the next leaf.

"When I get my own place, you're moving in with me, alright?" She insisted, Clearly not taking no for an answer. I knew her mom would disapprove, her mother has never liked me. She always felt Briana was too good to be around someone like me, which is true, but it's not my fault my parents are dirt bags.

"Deal." I responded. She started to pick at her acrylic nails and sighed. "I am glad you're getting out of this run down town though. You're too good for it."

I laughed sarcastically, "You're funny."

"No I'm serious. You've always been too smart, too pretty, and too kind for the situations you've been put in. I'm glad you're getting out even if it means I can't see you as much." She frowned. I looked into her eyes and couldn't help but get emotional even though that wasn't exactly my forte. 

"Aww." I smiled hugging her, "I love you B."

The sun started to go down, so I said my goodbyes to her, she cried of course. She was always the emotional one out of the two of us and a bit theatrical. I am going to miss her though. She's a sister to me, and maybe she was right about me needing this fresh start.

I walked inside to find my mom on the phone gossiping about whatever to whoever. I headed upstairs into my bedroom and took off my clothes. I pulled out a big red oversized t- shirt, braided my hair, and went to bed hoping that my 'new life' would be an easy adjustment. It had to be better than this.