Prologue

"The end," Luke smiled, closing the storybook as the little children began asking for another. He returned it to its correct position on the shelf, explaining to the toddlers that their parents would be there to take them home any moment and however much he wished otherwise, story time was over for the day.

Many clapped him for his work, and one of the youngest there even hugged him. Bethany was three, and her auburn hair was always fastened in two identical pigtails by lilac ribbon. Luke knew it was wrong for him to have favourites, but he'd always had a soft spot for Bethany.

Once all of the parents had collected their kids and left the library, Luke sighed and collected his bag from behind the main desk. On his way out, he somehow earned himself several 'thank you's' and 'goodbye's' from others who worked there, although few were reciprocated.

Luke could do nothing to prevent the smile that crept onto his face as he was met by a blast of refreshing cold air, pausing for only a moment to check his texts. He only had one, and much to his disappointment, it was from his mum.

From Mummy <3

Don't forget about the party tonight, make sure you're back and ready by 4. Love you xx

Luke knew he'd forgotten about something. His mum's boss, the co-founder of a large financial firm, was having a party to celebrate her son's birthday. Unfortunately for them, all employees and their families were expected to attend.

He knew how important it was that they went, mum's boss was strict and she just couldn't afford to lose the job. Money was tight and had been for a while, hence why Luke had began working at the library. Not that he minded, reading stories to little kids was always the highlight of his day, and he loved children

Realising that the time was almost 3, he picked up his pace and made it home bang on o'clock.

Luke had a quick shower, then spent the next twenty or so minutes browsing his wardrobe for something decent to wear. Deciding eventually on a dark navy shirt over black skinny jeans as the only appropriate outfit he owned, he headed to the mirror.

From what he could see he looked fine, nothing was over the top and he certainly wasn't underdressed. His hair was quiffed as usual, but he had made the difficult yet mature decision to remove the black ring that had been permanently attatched to his bottom lip since he had it done.

But he'd never really been the party type, so how was he to know what 'looking fine' even was?

Luke knew very little about the son whose birthday party he was to attend, other than he was a year older and according to his mum, very attractive. Although he was unsure whether to believe that last part, given that his mum's idea of attractive was very different to his own. He'd just have to wait and see.

"Luke! Are you ready?" She called out from downstairs, the blond quickly running his fingers through his hair in an attempt to flatten it out, before grabbing his phone and running from the room.

Swinging rather carelessly around the bottom of the banister, Luke knocked into his mum and stumbled backwards, almost speechless. It wasn't often that she made the extra effort to dress up, only the rarest of special occasions, but when she did there was only one word to desribe it.

"Beautiful."

She smiled and thanked him for the compliment, linking his fingers with her own and leading him out of the house. Luke was really looking forward to spending a night out with his mum, it had been forever since they last spent proper time together without something going wrong.

She'd always been so determined to protect him from the fact that they were struggling, even though Luke had become aware almost instantly. It wasn't hard to figure out - a mere day after his dad walked out she had offered to do extra shifts at work, then started to cut back on unneccessary items and sold her wedding ring.

He wanted to help, and that's why he got a job. Luke knew it wasn't enough to mean anything, but it was something. He would do whatever it took to make sure his mum was happy, he was the man of the house now.

As the two climbed into the back of the taxi, Luke smiled. For some reason he had high hopes for this party, that maybe there was a chance that tonight would be the night all of his problems would be solved.

Who knows, maybe he'd fall in love with a billionaire.

~~~~~~~

A/n: hehehe cake

Hi! So I've had this idea for a while now but never got round to starting it, so here it is :)

Please vote or comment if you liked and I'll try and get the first chapter up soon, thanks for reading <3 x