[16] Looking Up

Luke felt a soft hand against his face, slowly opening his eyes to a blindingly bright light. His head was pounding as his vision focused, looking around for any sign of life in the bleached white room.

Something dark moved across his vision, and then a pair of warm lips were pressed to his. Luke blinked repeatedly as the figure pulled away, taking small, shallow breaths. "Calum, hi."

"Sleep well, love?" He grinned, "you look a lot better today. The doctor says you might be allowed to go home later."

Luke nodded and smiled weakly. "Yeah, I feel better too. Head still hurts a bit. No, forget that, it hurts a lot."

A nurse who just so happened to be in the room and overhear their conversation adjusted his pain medication. "Don't worry," she said sweetly, "that will go away eventually."

When she left, another person came bursting into the room. Luke's eyes widened slightly. "Mum?"

"Luke!" She yelled, running over and embracing her son. She quickly pulled away upon realising that she was causing him pain, "I'm sorry! Oh my god are you okay? I didn't think it was this bad, I should never have left you alone this is all my fault. And I should have been here sooner but-"

Luke wanted to interrupt, but he was too overwhelmed by his mothers words and struggled to take it all in. So Calum took control. "Mrs Hemmings, I can assure you that you are not to blame for any of yesterday's events. Your son is fine, he sustained a trauma to his head and was unconscious at the scene, but under close observation and plenty of care I can guarantee that Luke will make a full recovery."

Both stared at him for a moment, shocked expressions engraved into their faces. They suddenly burst out into fits of laughter and Calum frowned.

He continued, "I do not appreciate the way that you - oh who am I kidding, well it was fun while it lasted. At least I lightened the mood and made you both laugh."

"You sure did that," Luke smiled, genuinely, "thank you."

His mum turned to him and sighed sadly. "It's really good to know that you're okay, but the man that did this to you took a lot of stuff. I've spoken to the police about it and they highly doubt he can be tracked down, not to mention that we can't afford to replace anything he took."

"It's okay mum," Luke said quietly, reaching for her hand and squeezing it reassuringly. "We can figure this all out, I can start working o-"

She shook her head. "No, Luke. You need plenty of time to rest up, so you couldn't even go back to doing your regular shifts for the next week at least. And I want to take care of you and make sure that you're okay, but if I don't go to work then we have no income at all."

Calum, who had been standing by the door and observing their conversation, took their sudden silence to his advantage. He pulled two white tickets from his pocket and handed them to Luke, who just sat there looking confused.

"Calum are these, plane tickets?"

He nodded eagerly. "Just for the two of us. Your doctor said that you'll be fine to fly as soon as you get out of here, and I have a private island in the Mediterranean. It's beautiful, a luxury hotel on the beach, with golden sand and a gentle blue ocean. I thought, since you need some time to rest up and we're officially dating now, why not?"

Luke stayed silent, just reading over the tickets again and again, occasionally glancing up at Calum. But it was his mum who responded first. "You two are dating?"

"No," Calum started, "well yes. I mean, I hope so, I think we are."

Luke raised an eyebrow. "You think? I'm sorry but I have missed something? I don't remember you ever asking me to be your boyfriend."

"Fine," Calum stepped closer, "will you be my boyfriend?"

Luke crossed his arms. "Not like that I won't."

"I don't know what you want me to do - oh," he paused when he noticed Luke pointing his finger to the floor and let out a long sigh, "fine, but only because I love you."

Calum took a deep breath and dropped to one knee, smiling up at Luke from the ground. "Luke Hemmings, will you please be my boyfriend?"

Luke looked to his mum and then to Calum below him, grinning, "of course I will!"

Calum stood up from the floor and cupped Luke's face in his hands, looking briefly into his eyes and then kissing him. He then pulled away, slightly breathless, and motioned towards the tickets, "so?"

Luke bit his lip. "I don't know, what about mum? I don't really want to leave her alone, and we don't have a front door at the moment so it wouldn't be safe for her to stay there."

"I already have that sorted," Calum said, running his fingers through Luke's hair, "I booked her into a hotel not far from here, it's only four star but it's the best I could get. And I've called a friend of mine who will be perfectly happy to repair your door while you're both away."

Luke's face was unreadable. "Wow, Calum that's just, amazing. But we can't let you do all of that, I mean what i-"

Calum put his finger to Luke's lips. "I want to do it, I love you and want to look after you. I don't care what it takes to make you see that."

Hesitantly, Luke nodded and eventually, so did his mum.

They chatted for a while, over random little things that filled all three of them with joy. Soon enough a doctor came into the room, and Luke signed his discharge papers and was told he was free to leave whenever he wished. He had to keep the bandage around his head on for now, just as a precaution and to prevent infection.

Calum helped him out of bed and back into his clothes, gripping his hand tightly so he wouldn't lose his balance and whispering reassuring words when Luke seemed unable to move.

They carefully helped him into the taxi and began to head home. Luke rested his head on Calum's shoulders, and the older boy wrapped his hands protectively around the blond.

And maybe, just maybe, things were starting to look up for him.

~~~~~~~

A/n: For some reason I liked this chapter, so I hope you did too!

I don't know much about hospitals and stuff so it's probably really inaccurate and highly unlikely he could go home after one night but it's a story so just go with it

Thank you for reading <3

P.s. New Muke story on my profile if any of you are interested ;) xx