[23] Gone

Days passed, and Luke was confused. He hadn't seen or heard from Calum since their return from the airport, and he had no idea what was going on. Luke had tried texting and calling him nonstop but he never responded, he'd even gone round to his house to see if he was there but Calum's parents had chased him off the grounds.

Luke wasn't sure whether to be angry or scared. Was Calum ignoring him? He hadn't done anything wrong, maybe this was his way of saying it was over. But then again, what if he'd been kidnapped? Or murdered? He might never see him again.

The whole situation was worrying.

Luke now sat slumped on the sofa, staring blankly at the wall in front of him. His mum occasionally walked into the room and tried to cheer him up, but she would eventually give in and walk back out again.

Then, came a knock on the door. His mum reappeared and began heading towards the front of the house. "Don't worry I'll get it."

Luke stayed sat, fairly oblivious. But then he heard her gasp, some words stuttered, and then she returned pale faced.

"Luke, some people are here to see you."

Next thing, Calum peered nervously into the room, and yet again Luke was unsure on how to react. Should he jump up and hug him, grateful that he was okay? Or should he yell at him for being such a idiot?

Instead he didn't do anything, waiting for Calum to explain.

The room remained silent, everyone waiting for someone else to say something. Calum stepped out nervously from behind the wall, and a scuff of shoes against the stained carpet could be heard from behind him. His mum gulped and turned away.

Luke frowned. "Who's there?"

Then he saw him. Older, more tired, worn-down. His hair was overgrown and messy, bits of food caught in his beard. His eyes were empty, different, but it was still him. Still his dad.

Everyone looked at Luke, expecting a reaction of some kind. Luke couldn't help but give them one.

The blood in his veins was boiling and his hands slowly clenched into fists, filled with rage.

He stood and threw the man against the wall, only to be dragged away and continue to fight in Calum's arms while the man slipped to the ground, regaining his breath.

"You!" Luke yelled, trying to push Calum away but not strong enough, as both of his parents watched him with terror in their eyes, scared for him and of him. "You ruined everything!"

Calum continued to hold him until the boy collapsed in his arms, panting and close to tears. "Calm down, okay? We can all talk about this like adults."

Luke nodded slowly and hesitantly as Calum's stroked his hair and kissed his now sweaty forehead.

He partially zoned out, vaguely aware of being led to and sat back down on the sofa, Calum beside him and still holding him close.

"Who else knows you're here?" Luke mumbled, not particularly caring what the answer was, not particularly caring about the man sat in front of him.

"Michael," Calum replied just a little louder than a whisper, and Luke wasn't surprised to hear the name on his lips, "and Ashton."

Luke grew frustrated. "He knew? Ashton knew? No that's not right, he would've told me. What have you done with him?"

Calum began to respond, "Luke he hasn't done anything to him, stop being stupid he's not that ba-"

"They're both safe." The man interrupted.

Calum's grip on Luke fell weaker. "That wasn't part of the plan! No one was supposed to get hurt, it wasn't meant to be like this!"

"Don't you see it?" Luke scoffed, "it's what he does best. He hurts people, and then he leaves without a word. I suppose you didn't know that for months he was stealing from us, slowly taking everything from us and hiding it away for himself. Then when we got suspicious that something was up, suspicious of things going missing and of his odd behaviour, he left in the middle of the night."

"Luke I didn't know I'm sor-"

"Where are my friends?" Luke yelled, going to get to his feet but being pulled back down again by Calum. He pushed him off easily this time and advanced forward. "I said where are my friends?"

The man didn't move, or even look slightly frightened. Luke wasn't surprised, but Calum was.

He hadn't expected this kind of a confrontation. He hadn't particularly expected a confrontation at all. In all honesty, Calum had no idea what he had expected. For them to hug and make up and act like the past few years had never happened?

"I said before, they're safe," the man eventually said, throwing Luke a key. "They're at the weird red-haired kids house, all I did was lock them in. Such a shame you don't have intelligent friends, son."

Luke gritted his teeth. "You lost the right to call me son along time ago. Or dictate any part of my life. Now take your stupid pictures and get out of this house. I don't want to see you again. I don't ever want you in my life again."

He went to protest, but Luke sensed this and cut him off before he could. "Goodbye, dad."

The man stared at him unfazed, grabbing the little box on the table and making his way to the door. When his hand was on the doorknob he looked backed at those in the room.

Calum glared, disappointed that it hadn't turned out the way he had hoped and annoyed that this man wasn't who he thought he was.

Luke's mum turned away, trying to hold back the tears and stay strong in the presence of her son. The man that she had once loved and given everything to was about to leave her. Again.

Luke stared, a sudden weight lifted off his shoulders. Ashton and Michael were safe. His dad was finally leaving, not able to inflict anymore damage on him or anyone he cared about. It was over, they could all move on now.

And then there was Calum. He was back, but Luke wasn't sure he was too happy about it.

~~~~~~~

A/n: basically I need a distraction so hai here's another update friends :) two chapters in two days is good for me

This whole scene was probably really rushed and stupid but I think you can all guess what's gonna go down next chapter

Thanks x