[25] Midnight Fun

Michael and Ashton had rushed around the house, preparing all the bedding and getting ready for the night. Luke had stayed put, insistent on not waking Calum who was still fast asleep in his arms.

"Does he always snore like that?" Ashton questioned, throwing an old blanket on one of the mattresses.

Michael snorted. "You should see how he snores when he's hungover. Although you probably don't want to, it's pretty scarring."

The two continued to hold the conversation as they finished laying out the four beds across the floor, but Luke couldn't be entirely sure what had happened because he may have dozed off at one point.

He woke up to a pillow being thrown at his face, and allowed his eyes to focus before throwing it back. Luke was hanging off the sofa, one of his legs on the arm and the other on the floor. His arms were stretched out to his sides, feeling suddenly colder than he had been when he fell asleep.

And then he saw Calum, sat on the floor chatting with Michael and Ashton. He realised that he must've slept harder than he first thought, to have not noticed Calum clambering out from in his arms. But it did explain the lack of warmth he was currently experiencing.

Calum looked happy, but still off and more quiet than usual. His eyes were only a little less puffy, and despite it being hours later, served as proof that he had been crying.

Luke groaned, catching the attention of the three on the floor. "What time is it?"

Ashton laughed, checking his phone. "Exactly midnight, good one Luke."

"Wait midnight?! I can't have slept that long!" Luke exclaimed, scrambling to get to his feet but tripping over Michael's legs that were stuck out behind him. He was rather lucky, really, to have fallen face first on a mattress rather than the floor.

Luke could easily detect Ashton's and Michael's laughter in the sudden outburst that came moments later. He'd known Ashton almost all his life and heard him laugh enough times, and Michael's laugh just sounded so Michael. But there was a voice missing. The most beautiful voice of all.

A hand grabbed his as Luke managed to pick himself up into a sitting position with the others, and he looked up to a pair of sad brown eyes.

"You should laugh more," Luke blurted out, without really thinking about it. "You used to laugh all the time, an arrogant laughter but a beautiful laughter all the same. Is it my fault?"

Calum laughed, and Luke's eyes lit up. "Of course it's not, you idiot. I guess I just have more to worry about than before, because I'm so scared of losing you."

Luke smiled almost apologetically as though he had been wrong to suggest it, grabbing the hair on the back of Calum's head and falling on top of him onto the mattress. They kissed a couple of times, and although short, more passionate than of late.

Ashton gagged. "Well they do say that people get emotional after midnight."

"But not that kind of emotional," Michael cringed, "I cry over chicken nuggets."

He paused for a second to think before continuing. "I think there's chicken nuggets in the freezer!"

Michael rushed into the kitchen, leaving the three on the mattresses as the ruffling of packaging and clanging of trays could be heard from the kitchen. They didn't do anything whilst they waited, but a short while later the red-haired boy bounced into the room with a bowl of chicken nuggets, the smoke still rising slowly off of them and into the air.

There was a sudden dash to get one, resulting in a few bumped heads. They all moaned with satisfaction as they bit into them, and within minutes they were all gone.