[13] Dinner For Two

By the time it was 11 at night, Luke was in a great mood. He had spent the afternoon with Calum, chatting and laughing over a load of random nonsense until he left a few hours earlier. But just as he went to make his way home, Calum told Luke that he had something really important to tell him, and he was excited.

So Luke now lay in bed, his phone glued to his hand, waiting impatiently for Calum to call. It turned out that the phone his mum has taken away from him to prevent contact with Luke was just one of his many phones, and therefore was never an issue.

Every time Luke's phone made a noise he looked at it eagerly, only to be crushed by disappointment when he realised they were just notifications for different social media sites. Luke grew worried, Calum had promised he would call. It was late and Luke was tired, but he just couldn't find the courage to put the phone down. No, Calum would definitely call him.

His eyelids were becoming so heavy it was a struggle to stay awake, to the point when his phone finally did ring he barely stirred. Luke groaned quietly and lifted his phone to his ear, half burying his head into his pillow.

"Hey are you still awake?" Calum's voice came from the other end of the line.

"Mhm," Luke mumbled.

Calum laughed. "You're so adorable when you're tired, I just wanna cuddle you so bad."

"I want you to cuddle me too," he slurred slightly in response, but that didn't change the honesty of the statement.

"Maybe another time Lukey."

Luke grinned at the nickname, Calum had never called him anything but Luke before and it made him happy. "So what did you want to tell me?"

"Oh, um," Calum paused, and his awkward reaction scared Luke slightly. Was it something bad? Had something happened with his parents? They already hated him more than anyone else he'd ever met, it could be anything.

"Cal?"

He coughed and Luke braced himself. "Right, well I mean you totally don't have to if you don't want to, but I was wondering if maybe you'd want to..."

Luke didn't catch the last part, it was quiet and mumbled, as though Calum was nervous or afraid to say it. "Can you please slow down and speak clearer? To what?"

"To, uh, to go to dinner with me?"

The blond resisted the urge to squeal at that moment since it would've woken up his mum, but he began to fidget happily under the sheets and grin as wide as his cheeks would allow him.

"Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! Of course I will!" Luke attempted to whisper, but ended up practically screaming into the phone.

"W-wait really?" Calum stuttered, seemingly genuinely surprised that Luke accepted his invitation, "I thought you'd say no."

Luke frowned. "Why would I say no you idiot?"

"I don't know I just assumed-"

Although Luke was unable to hear the rest of the sentence because his mum burst into the room. "Who died?"

Luke slightly lowered his phone from his ear. "Um, no one?"

She looked frantically around the room, and then her eyes rested on Luke who was curled up under the covers with a massive grin on his face, despite his attempts to conceal it.

"So you were the one who screamed."

"Well I wouldn't exactly say screamed..."

She looked at his phone in his hand. "Was it Calum?"

"It is Calum, I haven't hung up yet mum, he's still there."

For a minute he swore he saw a glimpse of curiosity wash over her face, but it was gone before he could act upon it. She walked towards Luke's bed and took his phone from his hand, holding it up to her own ear and smiling at Luke.

"Hello, Calum, it's Liz."

All he could hear was a soft buzzing sound coming from the other end, but nothing which he could translate as words. Luke was terrified of what Calum might say to his mum.

"Ah yes, of course, it's just my son made me get out of bed by screaming because I though he was being murdered."

Luke went to interrupt, but his mum held a finger to her lips, silencing him immediately.

"How interesting, I shall discuss that with him in a moment," she continued talking to Calum, nodding to herself at whatever he was saying, "okay I'll pass that on, bye."

She removed the phone from her ear and ended the call. "No!" Luke yelled, grabbing the phone but groaning in frustration when he realised Calum was gone. "Why did you do that?"

"Why didn't you tell me you were going on a date with Calum?"

Luke sighed. "I only just found out myself! And it's not even a date," he quickly corrected himself.

She laughed. "Of course it's not."

The blond bit his lip and stared at his phone for a minute. "I'm sorry. For staying up, I know I shouldn't have but I wanted to talk to Calum so bad, mum."

She sat next to him on the bed, placing a hand on the side of his thigh. "I'm not mad hun, I completely understand. Like you said earlier, you're not a kid anymore and I need to stop treating you like one. I guess I'm just scared to lose you."

"You won't ever lose me, I promise."

Tears were slowly gathering in the rims of her eyes, and Luke immediately realised his mistake. "Someone else once told me that, and they left."

And there it was. Luke knew his mum wasn't fully over his dad, but he never wanted to mention it because she was trying so hard. He didn't know what to say, but he thankfully didn't have to.

"Anyway," she continued, wiping her eyes, "on a slightly more positive note, Calum will pick you up for dinner tomorrow at 7."

"That's what you were talking to him about?" Luke asked.

She nodded, patting his thigh as standing up, before smiling at him and leaving the room. Moments after she had shut his door and returned to bed, Luke's phone buzzed.

From: Calum -_-

Goodnight beautiful :) love you xx

Luke fell asleep the happiest he had been in forever.

~~~~~~~

A/n: I was in a 5sos mood so this cute (hopefully) chapter happened because guess what happened???

I SAW MY BABIES IN LONDON LAST NIGHT AND THEY WERE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING I DONT CARE I WASNT CLOSE IT WAS LITERALLY THE BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE IM SO HAPPY I JUST WANNA GO BACK

Cake date ;) until next time xx