[18] Paradise

"How long was I asleep?" Luke asked groggily, rubbing his eyes and snuggling against Calum's side.

"A couple of hours at least, but you needed the rest. It was perfect timing, too, because we're about to land."

Luke peered cautiously out of the window and his mouth almost fell open with shock. His eyes widened and were filled with the reflection of the glistening blue ocean and white sands. Exotic trees towered into the cloudless sky, and Calum couldn't help but let a small laugh slip from his lips upon noticing Luke's reaction.

The first dip of the plane made Luke grip on to Calum's arm, mumbling out a quick apology when the older boy winced slightly.

The second one made Luke shriek and squeeze his eyes shut.

By the time the plane dipped for the third time, and continued to do so until it was inches away from the ground, Calum had his arms wrapped securely around Luke, so tight that the movement was almost unnoticeable to him anymore.

It hit the ground suddenly and roughly, making Luke flinch and wince slightly, Calum immediately noticing the way his body suddenly tensed.

"Luke, are you okay?"

"J-just shock I-I'm fine."

Of course Calum didn't believe him, he had grown a little too overprotective of Luke, especially since the visit to the hospital. So half an hour after the plane had come to a halt, and once most of the staff had already exited the plane, they still sat there, silently holding each other.

And however stupid it might have seemed, it meant the absolute world to both of them.

When Luke finally managed to convince Calum that he was okay, they stood up and slowly began to leave the plane. The door was opened and they were hit with a gentle breeze of hot summer air, and they both had to squint to make out the steps through the sunlight.

This time Calum went first, so he could help Luke down from the bottom.

Only when they reached the ground did Luke quite take in their surroundings. There wasn't an airport, just a runway that had been seemingly randomly placed in the middle of an isolated tropical island. No one needed to check their passports, they didn't need to stand for ages waiting for their luggage to come around on a stupid conveyor belt, their stuff had already been loaded out of the plane and placed beside them and they were ready to go.

Luke didn't have too much experience in the world beyond the small town where he had spent his entire life, but he knew this wasn't something that many ever got to do.

"I'm afraid we have to walk for a bit now," Calum said, picking up both his and Luke's bags, "I do have a taxi but the driver quit last week and I forgot to find another one, although I'm kinda glad because he was a complete idiot."

Luke smiled, slightly relieved that they had a bit of time to admire the scenery in beautiful weather, rather than cramming into a stuffy car. Walking was not a problem for him.

It wasn't a long journey, either, because after ten minutes of walking along a sandy path sheltered by palm trees, and Calum tripping over his own feet multiple times then attempting to blame it on a rock, they stood in front of a massive building that neighboured the beach.

Luke was bewildered, it was almost the size of Calum's mansion back home. "The whole place is for, for us?"

"Yep," Calum grinned, leaning over and kissing an astonished Luke's cheek before making his way towards the door with their things, "for an entire week. Just us."

Luke hesitantly moved forward, watching from behind as Calum unlocked the door and dumped the bags by the doorway, motioning for the blond to follow him inside.

When he stepped into the first room, he felt like he was going to pass out.

Calum managed help him across the room and onto the large creme sofa as his face paled and knees went weak. "I'm sorry," he mumbled, looking around before running his fingers through his hair, "it's just, wow. I've never been in a place like this, it's so different to living in a dirty, cramped house that most of the time smells of gone-off cheese."

Calum nodded understandingly and went to fetch him a glass of water. Well, he tried his best to understand. It wasn't exactly something he could relate to, having led a privileged life, and struggled to comprehend how little some people had compared to him. He'd been to Luke's house a couple of times, and despite it still being a liveable environment, the sudden change from that to this must be quite a lot to take in.

Calum went back to Luke with his drink a minute or so later, and he gratefully took it. He gave the blond a small nod to show that he was there for him, and was relieved when Luke smiled back. It was perhaps only half genuine, but it was enough for now.

Calum cupped Luke's face in his hands and stared into his eyes for a moment, carefully planning his following words. "Do you want to go out for dinner with me?"

"But last time-"

"Last time doesn't matter," Calum chuckled lightly, "we can try again. I'll make sure nothing goes wrong tonight, it will be perfect."

Before Luke could say anything, Calum laughed to himself.

"What's so funny?"

He managed to compose himself, "your cheeks, they've gone really warm. I can feel you blushing through my hands."

Upon hearing that, and whilst Calum continued to laugh, Luke tried desperately to stop blushing, but was pretty sure he did nothing but make it worse.

"Yes."

Calum stopped laughing. "What?"

"Yes, I'll go out to dinner with you."

They both grinned at each other, and with the calm ocean visible through the large glass window behind them, their lips met.

~~~~~~~

A/n: I'm back! Well I didn't really go anywhere I just kept forgetting to write I'm sorryyyyy

CAKE CAKE CAKE I promised cute scenes so dateeeeee (I also promise this time it will actually happen)

Did anyone get their GCSE results today? If you did then I hope you nailed it and got all the grades you wanted, if not then you can always dropout and start a band? I'm so scared though, in a years time it will be me getting my results :/

I hope this chapter was okay I luv ooo :) x