[14] Worst Day Ever

Luke was stressing out. At the beginning of what should be the best day of his life, everything was going wrong. Firstly, there was no hot water, so Luke had to have an ice cold shower. Secondly, all of his smart clothes were in the wash, so his mum had to finish what she was doing before she could dry and iron them. But then came the third problem - a power cut.

So in the late afternoon, Luke sat on the sofa in damp and creased clothes, staring at a blank television screen. The lights had flickered a few times over the period of about two hours, but failed to permanently switch on. His mum was out buying groceries and he had perhaps an hour, at least, before Calum would be knocking on the door ready to take him out for the evening.

And given the day he was having, he really couldn't wait.

But that knock on the door came much sooner than expected, and louder. In fact, you couldn't really call it a knock at all, it sounded more like someone was trying to break the door down. But when Luke looked up to see a man dressed in all black with his face covered, and the wooden door in pieces that littered the carpet, he knew that was exactly what had happened.

Acting upon his instincts, he yanked a plug out of the socket behind him and jumped to his feet, holding the lamp up to his shoulder and preparing to swing. He lunged forward and squeezed his eyes shut, bringing the lamp up to the guys face. But instead of hearing a thump or feeling the impact, Luke stumbled forward and fell to the ground, left to assume that the guy had ducked out of the way.

He tried to rollover and get back up, but the man grabbed the TV remote from the shelf nearby, smashing it hard around Luke's face as he attempted to stand, the blond crying out before crumbling to the floor. He could feel blood trickling down the side of his head and the sight in one of his eyes was beginning to blur, his head pounding as he found himself unable to move any part of his body.

The man that had broken into the house started to shove various items into his bag; jewellery, money, technology or whatever else he could find lying around. Luke could do nothing but watch from the ground, his screams for help emerging from his mouth as nothing more than a whimper.

Once the living room had been stripped bare of any valuables, the man headed towards the kitchen, while Luke fought desperately to stay awake. He was about to stop fighting when he heard a familiar, nervous voice call his name from outside.

The next part was completely a blur. Luke watched half-unconsciously as Calum ran into the room, the burglar beginning to panic and quickly attempting to grab a few final items before fleeing. But he didn't make it to the door.

Calum grabbed the mans jumper and roughly shoved him up against the wall, Luke barely even registering the sound of a photo frame falling to the floor and smashing to pieces as it made contact. Harsh words from Calum were thrown at the intruder, before a hard punch was thrown and the man ran from the house, the bag of belongings hanging securely over his shoulder.

Seconds later, Calum was crouched on the floor beside Luke, and only then did the blonds' eyes temporarily focus enough to notice what his date was wearing. He was dressed in dark blue trousers and a blazer over a white shirt, and his hair had been brushed neatly to the side. He looked beautiful, and Luke just wanted to tell him that.

He tried so hard to force Calum's name past his lips, and wanted nothing more than to breakdown and cry when he failed. His sight was blurring again, and his eyes were forcing themselves shut. Calum carefully lifted Luke's head and placed it on his lap, stroking his hair and begging for him to stay awake.

When Luke slipped into unconsciousness, Calum didn't know what to do.

At first he just sat on the ground, a blank expression plastered on to his face. Then he started to cry. Heavy, uncontrollable crying. He wasn't totally sure why, but after he'd started it was hard for him to stop. Once he felt he had calmed down enough, Calum pulled his phone out of his back pocket and with trembling fingers, called for an ambulance.

He stuttered and sniffed throughout the conversation, but the lady who answered his call was kind and understanding, so he felt slightly less stupid for being in such a state.

The ambulance arrived about 10 minutes later, and Calum was pushed to the side as the paramedics surrounded Luke. One of them asked if he was family.

"N-no," Calum stuttered as he wiped his eyes, "I'm his b-boyfriend."

The man nodded, and proceeded to say that it was fine for him to ride to the hospital in the ambulance with them. Calum was too busy thinking over his response to listen because although the term 'boyfriend' seemed appropriate, since they were supposed to be on a date, it hurt him to know he wasn't there when Luke was hurt. Like a boyfriend would be.

The paramedics loaded the blond into the ambulance, motioning for Calum to take a seat inside. He did exactly that, filled with dread for the journey and terrified of how bad Luke's injury was.

Calum knew that later on he would have to deal with a ton of stuff, like explaining this to his parents and Luke's mum, reporting the break-in to the police, but he was trying not to think about any of that just yet. He didn't seem to be able to focus on anything but Luke.

His Luke.

So when they arrived at the hospital, and Luke was rushed off leaving Calum stood alone in the waiting room, he didn't know what to do again.

He sat down, watching as things moved on around him. People came and went, some smiling and some crying, some with their hands linked with another's and some all by themselves. Calum wondered about their stories, why they were there to start with. There were so many possible reasons, some may have had freak accidents and others might have been fighting a battle for a long time.

It made him feel sad, but also made Calum smile. The people in the hospital, they were all fighters. They weren't going to give in to anything that life had thrown at them.

And neither was Luke.

~~~~~~~

A/n: Firstly, thank you so so so much to all of you for getting this to 11k reads and 1k votes I honestly didn't expect that to happen! And so many of you have added this story to your fave reading lists and it makes me so happy I love you guys you're all so beautiful <3

Okay, so before any of you murder me, I have my reasons. Partly because I have this really bad obsession with putting characters in the hospital before what would have been a really cute scene and also because it will fit with the storyline, so just go with it and you might get some fluff next chapter ;)

Stay awesome xxx