[9] Just A Friend

Calum smirked at the blond, who stood flustered by the door. To say Luke was surprised would be an understatement, but to say that he liked it would be even more of one. He loved it.

The taste of Calum's lips still lingered on his own, a taste he knew he would come to cherish.

"Speechless?" Calum raised his eyebrows, "I have that kind of effect on some people."

"B-b-bu-" Luke stuttered, but was silenced before he could get across what he was trying to say by Calum, who lifted a finger to his lips.

The two jumped away from each other when they heard a knock on the door, their heads whipping around in unison as Calum's dad stepped boldly into the room. His grey suit was rolled up neatly above the wrists and his tie was done tightly. "Son, why are you in here? You know it's off limits to the general public." He stared coldly at Luke.

"I was giving my friend here a tour of the building," he motioned to the blond, who still stood paralysed, "we're finished now."

"He's your friend?"

Calum nodded. "Yes, just a friend."

His dad nodded reluctantly and pointed his finger to the door, the two boys following his instruction and leaving the room. They walked behind him and towards the lobby in silence, trying to avoid each other's gaze.

Through the corridors, Calum edged slowly nearer to Luke, reaching out and brushing his hand against the blond's. Luke knew what Calum was trying to do, and flinched before withdrawing his hand away. He wasn't going to show any kind of feelings for Calum while his Dad stood directly in front, the man had already made it quite clear that he didn't approve of Luke and he was determined not to do anything to jeopardise that further.

When they neared the reception once again, Luke noticed his mum leaning on the desk, chatting to a small group of work colleagues and laughing at whatever they were saying. One of them nudged her as they approached, and she turned around just as they stopped.

She left the group to speak to her son. "Are you okay, Luke? You look really pale, do you feel sick?"

He shook his head, frantically trying to collect himself to respond to his mum without fumbling his words. "I feel fine. Great, actually." Luke glanced over his mums shoulder at Calum, who was stood talking with his dad.

"Well that's good," she smiled, "I have to get to work now, I've wasted enough time already. The cafeteria is through that corridor if you get hungry, and try not to get yourself into too much trouble."

His mum patted him awkwardly on the back and followed her friends out of the room, leaving Luke, once again, unsure on what to do. He had expected many more people to come, other kids his age or perhaps even younger, but the only 'extras' seemed to be him and Calum.

That meant that he had two options. To hang out with Calum or to, well, not. At first he chose to head to the cafeteria like his mum had suggested, hoping that maybe he could occupy himself while he was there. Maybe find someone else to talk to, if he was lucky.

But, he wasn't. The place was completely empty, except for a few people that worked there and a woman sat alone reading a book. Every few lines she would push her glasses slightly further up onto her nose, and carefully licked her finger and placed it against the paper when she finished the page.

He went to turn around and leave, before the woman began to talk. "You're Liz's son, right? Um, Luke?"

"Yeah," he nodded, still standing with his hands by his side by the entrance.

The woman patted the seat next to her, which Luke gratefully took to avoid seeming rude. "I'm Sue, I doubt you'd remember me. Last time I saw you you must have been seven or eight, such a happy little fellow, you've gotten so much bigger."

Luke smiled nervously, unsure on what to say.

"I'm sorry," she continued, "you must be so confused. I used to work here with your mum."

He frowned. "Used to? What happened?"

"People don't last here very long," Sue spoke with sadness in her voice, "they choose to leave, or they're made to leave. Your mum has been very lucky, but me? Not so much."

"They fired you?" He asked, "the Hood's? But why?"

She looked away. "They don't have to have a reason, not when they have all that money. They can get rid of people easily, without having to worry about the costs of finding someone new."

He attempted to regain eye contact with Sue, but she didn't look back at him. Luke planned to ask his mum about what happened to her later, but for now he couldn't help but think about Calum. His parents were so harsh, they didn't care about who they hurt as long as they would come out on top.

Was Calum like that? They had kissed, something Luke had always thought to be a sign of affection towards a person, and maybe that's exactly what it was. But, if Calum was anything like his parents, then Luke knew there was a possibility he was being played.

All Luke could do was convince himself that Calum was different. That their kiss did mean something, and that everything Calum said was genuine.

Moments later, Mrs Hood came running into the cafeteria, grabbing Luke's arm and violently yanking him away from the woman sitting defenceless on the chair beside him.

"Don't hurt the kid," Sue said calmly, "he hasn't done anything wrong."

"You don't know what he's done," came the bitter reply, "and if you don't want me to have you removed by security then learn to keep your mouth shut."

She gave her a cold, hard stare, before Mrs Hood eventually left the woman, dragging Luke along with her.

"Where are you taking me? I'm losing feeling in my arm," Luke murmured through gritted teeth, trying to ignore the pain that she was inflicting on him.

Luke's mum came rushing around the corner and straight towards them. "I heard something happened, what's wrong? Luke, are you alright?"

But instead of letting Luke respond, or loosening the grip on his arm, Mrs Hood immediately replied. "Take him home, you can have the night off."

"But what did he do?"

"Just make sure he never goes near my son again."

~~~~~~~

A/n: dun dun dun

What do you think Mrs Hood knows? Or thinks she knows?

I'm so bad at updates at the moment I'm so sorry but I'm literally drowning in school work at the moment

It's also EXACTLY 3 WEEKS UNTIL I SEE 5SOS I'M NOT OKAY *starts singing mcr*

Lol I have a problem thanks see you next chapter xx