[6] Silence

"I cannot believe that just happened," Luke muttered to himself, flinging his stuff into the corner of his messy room and collapsing onto the bed.

He had admitted, pretty clearly, that he had feelings for Calum. Or at least, that he soon would have. And he had admitted it to Calum's best friend. Luke hadn't intended on doing so, but sometimes, when you feel so strongly about something, it slips out before you can stop it.

Luke wouldn't be at all surprised if Michael went back to Calum and told him everything that he had said. But that was what he wanted, right? To permanently be the centre of attention, have every person on the left and right wanting his presence. Needing it.

Why was he thinking all of this? He'd known Calum for what, 2 days? It was crazy.

This was like it happened in the movies, you see someone and become immediately captivated by them, unable to control your thoughts or emotions until you eventually get married and end up with three kids and a dog. But, Luke knew better than anyone that life would never be as perfect as it seems in the movies. Not all fairy tales have happy endings.

"Luke!" He heard his mum call from downstairs, "are you coming down for dinner? It's getting cold!"

He had very little will or motivation to move, dragging himself reluctantly and tiredly down the stairs and into the kitchen. Before sitting down, he checked his phone, seeing he had four more messages than the last time he checked.

From: Calum -_-

Luke?

From: Calum -_-

Are you ignoring me?

From: Calum -_-

Have I done something wrong? :(

From: Calum -_-

My friend just came round with news so I'll talk to you later ;) well hopefully

He sighed and switched off his phone, playing it face down on the table beside him so he wouldn't be tempted. A friend with news huh, it was no doubt Michael. He was screwed.

Luke's mum placed a bowl in front of him. "I'm sorry, it's pasta again, it's the easiest thing to do and I have to work again tonight." She frowned.

"It's fine mum, pasta's fine." He looked away and lowered his voice. "Everything's just fine."

"I'm sorry, hun, I really am. I'll be late home so I'm trusting you to be here alone."

Luke was confused. "But, I've been left by myself hundreds of times. I'm an adult, mum, have I not proved that I can be responsible and you can trust me?"

"Of course you have," she smiled sweetly and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "But there's something up with you at the moment. You're not acting yourself, like there's something on your mind."

"It's just - uh - the whole dad thing," Luke lied, "I've been thinking about a lot since finding that box with the pictures in."

"Okay," she said sadly, "well I have to go now. See you later Luke, I love you."

"Bye mum, love you too."

And then she left him. Alone with his thoughts. Weird thoughts, ones he could never have imagined ever having. Maybe he was going insane, you never know it could be possible.

Luke stared at his phone.

"No, Luke," he whispered to himself, "keep it together. Don't. Even. Think. About. It."

Seconds later, he grabbed the phone.

To: Calum -_-

How quickly can you get to the park by the library?

Luke knew that Calum knew perfectly well where that was, Michael had managed to find him at the library so it wouldn't be any trouble to find the park. He barely had the time to consider whether or not sending that text was such a good idea, as he got a reply.

From: Calum -_-

Very quickly ;) can't wait to see your beautiful face again

And Luke couldn't wait to see Calum's.

He was aware that his mum might not approve to him sneaking out the house like this, but he was desperate. Besides, what could she do to stop him? She was out working, working with his family, all he had to do was get to the park and talk to Calum, and then return home as if he'd never been gone.

How hard could it be?

Luke slipped his arms into his jacket and grabbed his keys from the side, walking out the front door before double checking that it was locked. If someone broke in while he was out, he'd be grounded for life.

There was little wind that night, the world seemingly engulfed in a nervous silence as he walked carefully along the pavement. The moon was just visible, peeking between the old oak trees that lined the edge of the park, the grass glinting in its light. It was a beautiful sight.

The faint shadowy outline of the library was on Luke's left, as he sat himself down on the nearest bench. There was no one else around, and that both reassured and frightened him. When he was alone, Luke became swallowed by the sense of uncertainty and danger, greatly lacking the safety and protection of other people. But at the same time, it made him feel free and at one with the world, something he rarely had the opportunity to experience.

Luke glanced nervously around, expecting Calum to already be there. But instead he was met by the stillness of the trees without wind, the unmoving swings that stood abandoned and unused, and the sleeping creatures that failed to thrive at night.

Silence.

And then footsteps.

~~~~~~~

A/n: Hi I'm so happy I can actually write cake next chapter yayayay

Anyway, I don't know if this chapter makes much sense? Or if this whole book is seeming really rushed? I'm normally okay at not rushing into things but I'm not sure how this is going?

^^ If you could give me any feedback that would be greatly appreciated but I'm not forcing you hahaha

P.s. I wrote most of this at school how cool am I

THANKS GUYS!! <3 xx