[15] Promises

When the doctors had first said that Calum was allowed into the room, he didn't move. For an hour he simply sat there, trying to calm his breathing and preparing himself for whatever the situation might be. He fidgeted nervoulsy under the harsh glares of many of the staff on the ward, and for the first time in possibly his entire life, he wasn't proud to be recognised. Calum just wanted to know that his Luke was okay, he couldn't even begin to comprehend what he would do otherwise.

Over time the waiting room became emptier, and a new thing crossed his mind. What if Luke woke up without him there? He'd taken a pretty bad beating and a serious trauma to his head, who knows how confused or disturbed he'd be when he finally woke. One of the nurses had already contacted Luke's mum, but she hadn't responded and Calum knew that once she did it could be ages before she could make it to the hospital.

In the meantime, Luke needed someone by his side, to look after him and make sure he was safe.

Calum was going to be that person.

With a deep breath he pulled himself together, slowly and hesitantly heading towards Luke's room. His hand went straight to cover his mouth and withhold a gasp, but it slipped out as more of a sad hiccup when he spotted the blond lying on the bed. Luke's face was pale as a sheet and a bandage was wrapped carefully around his head, breathing softly but steadily into his oxygen mask.

Calum sat down in the empty seat beside him, admiring how beautiful he looked whilst he slept. He intertwined his fingers with Luke's, rubbing his thumb gently along the side of Luke's hand. He flinched slightly and his eyes looked desperate to open, but he didn't quite have the strength just yet.

Deciding what to do next was a difficult one for Calum, there was so much he wanted to say to Luke and now would've been the perfect moment. But he didn't want anyone to overhear, and the thought of it made him feel awkward and uncomfortable. The only slight bit of reassurance was that it was Luke, he'd do anything for him and he wouldn't let his own fears compromise the best relationship he had ever been able to build.

"Um, hey Lukey, so it's me Calum," he began quietly and nervously, "I'm right here beside you and I'm never going to leave. You are the most important person into my entire world and you really scared me today, when I walked to your house to pick you up and found the door broken down I was terrified of what might have happened. And then when I ran inside to find you covered in blood and unconscious on the floor, I honestly thought I'd lost you."

Calum lowered his voice. "If I'd lost you then I would have lost myself. You are everything to me, Luke, I never thought I'd be saying that but it's true. I love you so much."

He stopped and choked slightly, wiping his eyes with his sleeve and finding them wet. He wasn't sure he'd ever cried in public before, but this time he didn't care. Calum didn't even attempt to stop either, he just let the tears fall silently, clutching at his stomach so he didn't let out a loud sob.

Lost in his own emotions, he didn't notice a tear roll off of his face and land delicately on Luke's hand.

The blond flinched again, but this time his eyes slowly and weakly flickered open, fighting desperately to focus on anything. They eventually landed on Calum and his eyes suddenly widened as he began coughing and writhing and trying to get the mask off of his face.

At that moment his doctor and a few of the nurses ran urgently into the room, gently holding him against the bed and attempting to calm him down. They started whispering soothing words, but those words gradually got louder, as Luke began to sob and shout with every ounce of energy he had left. Calum saw one of the nurses inject something into his arm as the blond continued to fight back, his eyes filled with desperation and fear.

Calum had never felt so helpless, he could do nothing but watch as the medication took its desired effect. His body began to go limp, one of the nurses holding the oxygen over his mouth so that he wouldn't try and remove it again, sobbing silently now. Luke's eyes were clenched shut but it didn't stop a tear escaping, it wasn't much but it was enough to set Calum off again.

Once they felt it was okay to, the doctor and nurses left the room, and the two of them were once again alone. Both were crying now, Luke lay motionless on the bed and Calum still hovered awkwardly by the door, the position in which he had been pushed into when everyone ran into the room. He took a minute to compose himself, then edged slowly nearer to the bed.

Calum used his thumb to wipe away the tears from under Luke's eyes. "I-I'ts okay, it's only m-me. No one else is h-here, you can open y-your eyes now it's o-okay."

"I-I-I-" Luke attempted speak, but Calum hushed him and explained that it was better if he didn't try to just yet.

He opened them slowly and hesitantly, revealing bood-shot eyes from all the crying and they were coated with a layer of fear. Calum understood only now why he had been so reluctant. Luke was weak, physically and emotionally, and he didn't want anyone to see him in his moment of weakness. Weak just wasn't who Luke was, but by seeing him lying sobbing in a hospital bed, fragile from both his injuries and his mental state, Calum realised just how vulnerable Luke was.

"Don't worry Lukey," Calum whispered, leaning forward and planting a gentle kiss on Luke's tear-stained cheek, "everything is gonna be okay. I'm right here, no matter what. I promise."

~~~~~~~

A/n: I know that there was a lot of other stuff in there too but fluff! Cake are too cute even for me I can't handle the cuteness

CAN WE TALK ABOUT SHES KINDA HOT? ITS THE PERFECT SOUND FOR THEM AND ITS BEEN ON REPEAT SINCE YESTERDAY BC ITS SO GOOD LIKE GAHHH AND NOW MY FAMILY HATE ME WHO ELSE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM

I'm sorry for not updating in a while, I promise I'm not neglecting this story or anything but I only have one and a half days left of school before the summer holidays so I'm focusing on that until it's over. Also, fun fact: I was gonna update yesterday but when I clicked publish, instead of actually publishing what I had written, it deleted it all so I had to rewrite everything :(((

Thank you for all the reads, votes and comments it means a lot ily xx