[29] Perfect

Calum was clueless as to what he was expected to do next, given that his boyfriend had done nothing but stare at the house in utter silence for just over five minutes. No matter how hard he tried, he simply found it impossible to identify any kind of reaction from Luke's facial expression. It was completely blank.

A part of him was dissapointed by this, but Calum was mostly confused. Hopeful that the interior might trigger something, anything, the billionaire coughed falsely before unlocking the front door and shoving Luke inside.

He should've known better than to take his eyes away for even a split second, for when Calum removed his phone from his back pocket and placed it on the table beside the entrance, Luke's hands began to tremble uncontrollably and his weight fell forwards. Having lost his sense of balance, the blond had expected nothing less than to hit the ground within a moment, surprised to suddenly find himself cradled by strong arms and guided towards to the sofa.

Calum was shocked by how well he handed the whole situation. Luke's face had paled dramatically and tears pricked at his eyes, soon instructed to take deep breaths and recompose himself. He managed to calm down fairly quickly, finally snapping out of whatever alternative realism he had previously been trapped in.

Once he felt he could, Luke looked up at Calum apologetically. What he hadn't expected, however, was to be pulled into his boyfriend's chest and hear the words he had once only ever dreamt of hearing.

"I'll always be there to catch you."

Luke smiled into Calum's shirt and although aware his speech would be muffled by the fabric, he spoke anyway. "That was so embarrassing."

"I should've filmed it," the billionaire laughed, and Luke's eyes lit up at the beautiful sound, "of all the reactions to a new house that just has to be the best. You could've won an award or something."

"It's amazing, Calum, apparently so amazing I almost passed out. I just never expected any of this to happen, I finally feel content with my life and I couldn't be more grateful for everything."

As the two fell into silence, Luke shifted his head so it still rested against Calum's chest, but he could also look out across the room. He wished there was a way to capture the exact moment, listening to a heart beating perfectly in time with his own and admiring every tiny detail of his new home.

Luke supposed he had it pretty good, considering he now had two homes in one.

To ruin the moment, Calum began to fidget in his position beneath the blond, appearing uncomfortable with the way they sat. Or at least that was what Luke assumed to be the problem, until he noticed the billionaire nibbling at his fingernails and sweating a little.

"Are you nervous?"

Calum glanced down at Luke with a glint of fear and hesitance in his eyes, emotions the blond had always thought his boyfriend was immune to. Yet here they were.

Rather unexpectedly, the billionaire reached down to the floor and picked up the TV remote, aiming it towards the screen that was attached to the wall in front of them and flicking the power switch. Immediately it turned on, revealing Ashton sitting a little apprehensively on the edge of a sofa. In fact, the exact same sofa that Luke was sat on now.

"Calum what is thi-"

"Just watch."

Luke obeyed this instruction, fixing his gaze on the image of his best friend as Calum pressed the play button.

"Uh hey Luke, so as you can probably see it's me, Ashton. If you're watching this then you've obviously already moved into your new house, and unless you've been secretly pretending that we're best friends for the past fifteen years and I actually don't know you at all, I'm guessing you're pretty happy right now. Calum's been planning this for ages, I tried telling him it was far too early in your relationship to be making drastic decisions like moving in together but he somehow managed to convince me that it would all work out. And I'm so glad he did, Luke, because he's everything you've ever deserved and more. I really hope you say yes."

The screen went blank, but moments later, Michael appeared looking awkward as hell. His hair was red, proving the video must have been shot fairly recently.

"Hemmings what's up! That was lame, nevermind. When Calum told me I had to come here and record a video message for you, the only reason I actually came was because he said I could use the hot tub. So yeah, if you didn't already know, you have a hot tub. And I'm still owed a large pepperoni pizza. Moving on, we're friends, right? Probably not but I'm going to be honest with you anyway. Calum is probably one of the weirdest, most boring and creepiest people you will ever meet, but he is literally adorable at heart. He will do anything and everything for you and that makes you one lucky person, Hemmings. Don't mess this next bit up, if you say no I will hunt you down."

Luke felt pathetic, knowing that two short and terribly filmed videos could put him on the verge of tears. But it was the meaning behind the videos that counted, and the sentimental value was undoubtable. "Calum, I don't even know what to say. That was incredible, you really did all that? For me?"

The older boy nodded, pressing his lips together and humming in confirmation. "I thought you needed something more than me telling you how much I loved you, you deserved more. So Ashton and Michael gave me a little help."

"But what did they mean?" Luke asked, with only one unanswered question on his mind. "What's going to happen next that I need to say yes to?"

Calum attempted to conceal his excitement, carefully climbing off of the sofa and falling onto his right knee. He stuck out his tongue like the true dork he was as he fumbled around in his pocket, eventually pulling out a small burgundy box coated with velvet. The billionaire opened it slowly, and the moment Luke saw the glint of metal under the light he swore he felt his heart beat right out of his chest.

"It honestly doesn't feel like we've known each other for very long, but in that time I have come to understand every single one of your weaknesses and flaws, admire your strength and love every part of who you are. I never thought that my life would turn out this way, but it's everything I ever imagined and more. Of all the billions of people on this planet, I was lucky enough to find my soulmate. I love you, Luke Hemmings, and despite us being such contrasting people I just know I've found who I want to spend the rest of my life with. Will you marry me?"

"Yes!" Luke squealed, throwing himself into Calum's arms and pressing their lips together. Of all the times they had ever been in this position, their bodies sharing body heat and exchanging passionate kisses, this was the most special. Because Luke was Calum's, forever and always.

"You would not believe how long I have waited to do that," Calum smiled, pulling away a little breathless.

"But I'm so glad you did."

"So am I."

Everything was perfect, and neither of them wanted it any other way.

~~~~~~~

A/n: I'm crying at this and I feel really stupid, it's not even that cute what is wrong with me

Let's pretend I've updated this recently whoops, you have permission to internet slap me (gently, please) but hopefully this made up for it. I'll try not to wait so long before posting the next chapter, but I can't guarentee anything as it will be the last and I want this to end perfectly

Thank you all so much ily!! xx