[3] Secrets

Luke was woken up by his phone going off on the table beside him. He yawned and tiredly reached for it, seeing that he had received a text from an unknown number. Unlocking his phone, he quickly read the message.

From: Unknown

How you doing today Lukey boy?

He sighed and angrily threw his phone across the room, burying his head as far as he could into his pillow and letting out a long, muffled scream. Great, Calum had his number. The one person he didn't want to have his number. Just what he needed.

Luke reluctantly got up and went over to the pile of mess in the corner of his room, searching for the object he had thrown in his frustration. Using his hands to dig through, he frowned when he not only found his phone, but also a small tin box hidden beneath a pair of worn jeans he must have lazily discarded on the floor one night.

He couldn't seem to remember ever seeing the box, therefore failing to come up for a reason as to why it was in his room, so trailed down the stairs with the intention of interrogating his mum about it.

"Muuum," Luke half yelled as he span round the bottom of the banister, "can I please talk to you?"

"Of course hun, I'm in the kitchen."

Luke made his way towards the voice coming from the kitchen, holding the box behind his back just in case. His mum was sitting by the table, placing bacon and sausage on two separate plates.

"I made breakfast for the two of us, how about you sit down and we'll talk, okay?" She smiled at him, pulling out the chair beside her and motioning for Luke to sit. He did, placing the small box on his lap so that it was still out of her sight.

He did feel kind of bad for temporarily keeping secret what he had discovered, but whatever it was that was inside the box had been kept secret from him, and he hated secrets.

Tracing careless circles on his plate with his fork, he quickly finished his mouthful of bacon and turned awkwardly to his mum, lifting the box onto the table and pushing it towards her.

"Where did you find that?" She asked, reaching for the small object and staring at it curiously for a brief moment.

He shrugged. "In my room. Do you know what's in it?"

"I'm afraid not," she shook her head sadly, "he never told me, only that it was for you."

"He? You said he. Who's he?"

"Your dad."

She handed Luke the box, and he eyed it suspiciously before slowly reaching for the lid. Taking a shaky breath he opened it, peering curiously inside.

"What's in it?" His mum asked, but he ignored her as he struggled to comprehend what he had just found. A couple of small pictures of the younger version of himself and both of his parents, all of them smiling. One of them he could remember was taken at Christmas when he was 9, he had so many great memories from that year. Another was from a holiday when he was a couple of years later, and the third he didn't recognise.

Luke placed them face up on the table in front of his mum, and she gasped when seeing what he had found. "H-he left you pictures. B-but why?"

He sighed sadly and leaned back on his chair. "I don't know. Maybe he's trying to tell me something? But why haven't I seen it before? It was in my bedroom, I should have seen it."

His mum looked confused, sharing the same feeling he felt. Luke pushed his breakfast aside, suddenly not hungry anymore.

He quickly gathered the photos and placed them back into the box, sealing it and leaving it in the middle of the table while he left it and went back to his room.

After several minutes of careful deliberation, he grabbed his phone and added a new contact, typing out a message.

To: Calum -_-

What do you want? I'm busy

Of course that last part was a lie, he wasn't busy, but Calum didn't have to know that. However, Luke was convinced that Calum wanted something, why else would he have texted?

Surprisingly enough, the reply came through almost immediately.

From: Calum -_-

Do I need a reason to check up on my favourite blond?

Luke groaned and decided not to respond, despite the sudden urge to do so. It was what Calum wanted, to wind him up, so the best he could do was not let anything the boy said get to him. But strangely, he found ignoring the billionaire much harder than he had first imagined.

A small part of him wished it wasn't the weekend, at least then he could go to work and escape his stupid house - and that wasn't something Luke thought about often.

So, to distract himself, he texted his best friend Ashton. He'd always been the wiser of the two, so if anyone could help it would be him. Luke knew he didn't have to ask his mum for permission, they'd been closer than brothers since toddlers and he was like a second son to her.

He arrived within the following hour, collapsing on Luke's bed as though it was his own and turning curiously to the blond. "So what do you want to talk about?"

Luke threw him a chocolate bar, which Ashton caught and began to eat. "There's this boy."

Ashton choked and raised his eyebrows. "And?"

"And I think I like him."

~~~~~~~

A/n: so I updated againnnn yay

I'm only on chapter 3 and this already has loads of reads and votes wtf! That's so amazing, especially since I'm definitely not the best writer, so thank you all for reading it means a lot!

I'll try and get the next chapter up soon ;) xx