Epilogue

Epilogue

"Suarez, Frida Louisse M."

The emcee called her name and I bit my lip as I watched the big screen where Frida's graduation picture was shown together with her name.

Her hair is curled in the picture, parted in the middle, with big waves on both sides. She has a small sweet smile on her lips with her mature and beautiful eyes. Maganda na si Frida mga bata pa lang kami. Pero ngayong nagdalaga, mas gumanda pa yata... kung posible man 'yon.

But it's not her beauty that makes me fall in love with her over and over again... it's how she speaks, thinks, and decides. I love every bit of her, even her flaws and insecurities.

I watched Frida as she walked up the stage to get her diploma. Kasama n'ya ang Mama at Papa n'ya. Suot-suot n'ya ang itim na toga ng Torrero University na mayro'ng kulay maroon at dilaw na graduation hood. I'm also wearing that... together with all of our batchmates.

"Magna Cum Laude."

Narinig ko ang mura ng katabi ko at tinapik ako sa braso habang sumasabog ang palakpakan mula sa mga audience.

"Hindi ba, girlfriend mo 'yan?" He asked.

Umiling ako.

"Hindi pa," I mumbled, smiling because I was really proud of her.

Thinking about the things she went through, I admire her more as a person.

I was lucky that I found her. Pakiramdam ko, ang suwerte-suwerte ko na dumating si Frida sa buhay ko. I can't explain why... I just feel it. I can see a bright future with her... kahit dati pa. Kahit no'ng unang beses ko pa lang na nakita s'ya.

"Romero, Tavian Giovanni L." The emcee called my name and it was my cue to finally walk up the stage to get my diploma, together with my parents just like Frida. "Magna Cum Laude."

I licked my lips when I finally held my diploma. This is it. Napapikit ako. This is it. This is what I've been waiting for for so long. Junior high school pa lang, hinihintay ko na ang araw na 'to.

After getting my diploma, all I was thinking about was I want this ceremony to finally end so I can finally go to Frida and tell her that we did it. That we're finally here... and that we made it.

You made it, Frida. We made it.

Kaya patapos pa lang ang pagkanta ng hymn ng Torrero University, umalis na ako kaagad sa upuan ko at pinuntahan kung saan naka-upo si Frida. Exactly after the hymn ended, I found her standing in front of one of the seats, staring at the stage as her tears stream down her face.

A warm hand enveloped my heart as I stared at her. Agad akong napatigil sa kinatatayuan ko at pinagmasdan si Frida. She's crying but I can tell that those tears are tears of joy. Napangiti ako habang pinagmamasdan s'ya.

Suddenly, the sight of her brought back all the memories we had together.

"Agahan mong pumasok," bungad na sabi sa akin ni Daniel nang sagutin ko ang tawag n'ya, isang umaga.

Kumunot ang noo ko habang papasakay sa puting BMW na madalas kong ginagamit papasok sa Torrero University. Nandoon na ang driver, hinihintay na lang ako.

Maaga naman talaga akong pumapasok pero mukhang may ibang plano si Daniel ngayong araw. It's the first day of school at mayro'n pa kaming flag ceremony sa umaga.

"Nasa kotse na ako," I told him. "Bakit?"

"Bilisan mo! Maraming transferee ngayon sa Grade 7," tawa ni Daniel.