45| The Final Bullet

The sun was bright and warm in the cloudless sky. With all the walking we've been doing today, I almost would have thought it was too hot if not for the shade provided by the thick tree cover. The dense forest made it hard to navigate and ensure we were heading in the right direction, but then again I was fairly confident that we were.

The guys and I were relatively quiet as we walked. It was a comfortable silence though. I assumed everyone was probably just tired and worried—same as me. Eventually, the silence was broken when Adam decided to speak up, lightening the mood like he always did.

"Jakeeee will you carry me?" He whined.

I couldn't help but laugh at his tone. He couldn't be serious.

"Fuck no," Jake replied.

"But I'm tireeeed and my feet hurt."

Jake chuckled, "Sorry buddy. Not really my problem."

I stole a glance back at Adam who was now rocking a fake pout. "Luke?"

Luke scoffed. "No way. You're fine."

Wes chimed in from beside me. "Dude you whine more than anyone. Even Cassie isn't complaining and she's got a bum ankle."

I was about to say something in response to Wes's comment when Wes stepped on pile of leaves, and there was a loud crack. Then, suddenly, Wes  disappeared from my view. Since I was the one standing right beside him, I was quick to lunge after him, reaching out my hand.

I wasn't quite sure what was happening, but it looked like Wes had fallen into another trap of some kind? I just knew I couldn't let him fall into this pit—he could hurt himself. I reached as far as I could after him and Wes's hand brushed my fingertips as he fell. I lunged so far forward that I almost fell into the hole after him when Adam grabbed my feet to hold me in place.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough, and I watched in horror as Wes tumbled down into the deep pit. "No!" I yelled.

Jake and Luke each reached down to grab one of my arms to pull me back up, but I never took my eyes off of Wes as I was lifted out. 

"Wes!" I called, "Are you okay?" I felt horrible. I didn't truly get what it felt like to let something slip through your fingers until now; I felt like I had failed Wes.

I had watched him fall, and luckily it looked like he didn't land too horribly. He hit the ground feet first and sent himself into a roll. He was quick to push himself into a sitting position, but was cupping his leg with a grimace on his face.

"Ugh... my leg... I think it's pretty messed up guys," he called up to us.

"What do we do?!" Adam exclaimed.

"Wes! Is there any way you can climb out of there?" Jake asked.

He took a moment to survey his surroundings before responding, "I don't think so! It's pretty steep and my shoulder still doesn't have full strength from the dislocation... and now my leg is fucked!"

I felt a pang in my stomach. I could tell Wes was scared and in pain and there wasn't anything I knew how to do at the moment to help him. I looked at the guys and they all looked as scared and flustered as I felt. Well, not so much Jake.