37| Invasion

The next few days were amazing. Well, as amazing as they could be with all of our paranoia.

Jake and I were practically inseparable and it was like we just couldn't get enough of each other. Our chemistry was undeniable, and we had such a strong emotional connection since we waited so long on the physical part. He was my best friend, savior, and confidant before he became anything else, and I think that's what made our connection so incredible.

Today was day 36. It had been about 9 days since we stumbled upon the well and we still hadn't run into any other people out here. It also meant that people would start looking for us back at home very soon if they haven't already. I had hope that we would make it through without any more drama. I much more preferred to live in my oblivious little love bubble with Jake.

The sun was shining today and although it was hot, the cool breeze kept me feeling very neutral about the temperature. I had just finished getting dressed in a pair of jean shorts, a white kami, and a thin maroon zip-up when Jake entered the cave.

"Hey beautiful," he smiled.

God he was so attractive. His pearly white teeth dazzled me as he smiled, and the light shining into the cave behind him made him look like an angel; a masculine one. "Hey handsome," I replied.

"Will you come check the traps with me?" He asked with a sexy smirk.

I knew what that meant. He and I often decided to go check the traps together in order to get away from camp for a little bit and be alone. It was nice to be able to kiss him without being self-conscious one of the other guys would see us, especially Cam. I didn't want him to think that I didn't care about his feelings or was rubbing our relationship in his face. Although he and I had talked things through, my relationship with Jake didn't need to be advertised.

When we had gotten back the other day after confessing our love, most of the guys immediately knew something was different between us. We had returned to the fire pit where Adam so eloquently asked if we "finally got it on."

We didn't of course; not that I was opposed to the idea or anything...

But anyway, we ended up telling the guys about our feelings for each other. Nobody was surprised, and they all seemed mostly supportive. It was hard for me to gauge their reactions but as far as I could tell, the group dynamic had stayed mostly the same...with one obvious exception of course.

Jake and I had taken our time heading towards the traps, and had decided to briefly split up to save some time. He went one way towards his trap, and I went another.

I had just gotten to my trap, and was disappointed to find that there was nothing in it. Hopefully Jake had better luck with his. I stood up to head back towards Jake; it felt odd being on my own in the woods... not that we were that far apart. I was so lost in my "la la land" thoughts of Jake that I almost didn't notice the rustling sound going on in the trees behind me. I stopped in my tracks to have a better listen.

It wasn't the wind, I was sure of it.

Maybe Jake was done already and heading back to me?

"Jake?" I asked. No response. I was starting to get nervous now. If it was Jake, he definitely would have replied to me, and if it was an animal, it was something big. I wished Jake and I hadn't separated. We were too focused on each other, and we got careless.

Out of nowhere, I heard a chuckle echo from nearby. My body completely froze.

"Well well. What do we have here?" A deep, raspy, voice sounded from the trees behind me. The sound of their voice alone made my skin crawl and a very unsettling feeling washed over me instantly. I didn't recognize this voice at all. The men that I knew all had deep melodious voices, and this man sounded nothing like them.