23| Dark and Stormy

I awoke again to a crash of thunder. I had no idea how long I'd been sleeping, but it was quiet in the cave so I imagined the guys went to check the traps.

Another rumble of thunder shook the cave and I cowered into my sweatshirt. Honestly, I would have given anything for the warm Arizona sun. Or at this point, I would have been fine if it was a little chilly, but the thunder and rain had to go.

"Derek?" I asked.

"He just went to go get some clean water. The rest of the guys went to the traps," Cam replied as he stood up to walk closer to me.

"Even Wes? I thought he was staying back."

"He was, but he started to get a little restless," Cam said with a shrug.

Another loud thunder cracked the sky and I flinched. "Why'd they go right now? The weather seems worse."

"It wasn't when they left. They should be back soon, don't worry. How are you feeling?"

"My hangover is much better," I answered. I didn't want to say I was fine because I still felt a little gross, and I was freezing again. I was getting so sick of being cold and I could not stress this fact enough. The cold was literally driving me insane.

"That's good. Are you cold?" Cam asked.

It never ceased to amaze me how observant the guys were. I nodded. "How can you tell?"

"You keep pulling your sweatshirt tighter and I can see you trembling. I know Jake usually lays next to you while you sleep to keep you warm at night, but it's extra cold today and he isn't here. I noticed you shivering, so I gave you that extra sweatshirt earlier but I don't know if it really helped."

I hadn't even realized that I had an extra until he pointed it out. Sure enough, the familiar grey sweatshirt of his that I borrowed on the first day was draped across my legs. My heart warmed at how thoughtful the guys could be. "Thank you for looking out for me." I smiled and tried to smother another shiver so he wouldn't worry.

"I can sit next to you if you want? To try and warm you up a bit. I just didn't want to make you uncomfortable before," he said with hesitation. His cheeks appeared to tinge red as he spoke. This kind of shy thing he was doing at the moment was very uncharacteristic for him, and it confused me.

"Sure, if you want to," I agreed to make him feel less awkward, and I let him slide in close to me. He wrapped his big arms around me, and pulled me into his chest. Although Cam was warm, Jake was definitely warmer, and I felt more comfortable with him; but, Jake wasn't here and I was sick of being cold. We layed together like this while I pressed my head into his muscular chest until Derek returned with the water.

He stopped short when he saw Cam and I together, cocking an eyebrow. I felt a little awkward to be caught this way, but we were all friends here. I slept with Jake like this every night and nobody said anything. However, I couldn't help but wonder what Jake would think if he saw Cam and I laying together like this... would he care?

"She was cold," Cam answered Derek's silent question. This appeared to be a reasonable explanation and Derek's face went back to normal.

"Ah yes; she's always cold," Derek smirked and set the waters down. "Do you feel well enough to work on your ankle?"

I pushed myself up off of Cam and stretched out a little before replying, "Yes please! Let's get me back on my feet."

Both men chuckled, "Okay short stuff, don't get too excited; it's not going to be healed in a day," Derek warned.

"True, but it's a start," I smiled as I crawled my way closer to him.

Derek sat down on the ground and patted his lap, indicating for me to hold my foot out to him. I gently placed my foot in his lap and he carefully unwrapped it. He moved it around to try and see it in better lighting, observing it from many angles and moving it gently in different directions. His silence was killing me.