33| When Sickness Strikes

When we arrived back at camp, everyone was feeling defeated and morale was low. I really hoped we could all get back to the way things were. Being away from home after such a traumatic experience had bonded us all together, and this bond was the only thing keeping most of us sane. These past two days had been intense, and they just reminded me of how scared I was to be here and that we'd never be found.

"Cam can you put Cassie down over here? I'm going to check out her head. And can somebody get a fire going? She's still cold and we need to boil more water anyway."

"I can," Jake said.

"No Jake. you need to go and rest. I'll do it," Nathan intervened. Cam complied and placed me gently on my usual rock.

"Thank you for carrying me Cam," I said with a smile as he released me.

"Of course. I'd do anything for you Cass, you should know that by now." He smiled back before walking off to help Nathan with the fire.

I knew he was just looking out for me, but there was something about the way Cam said this that made me think he meant it as more than friends. I obviously cared deeply for all of the guys, but today I realized just how much more Jake meant to me. Today I realized that I was in love with him... even if he didn't feel the same for me.

I was pulled from my thoughts when Derek appeared with some medical supplies.

"Hey sweetie. How ya feelin?" He smiled and set up his supplies next to me.

"I've been better. A little dizzy and kind of nauseous, but I'll live."

"I'm sorry... this is going to hurt, but I need to see how deep this cut is and I need to clean it."

"Do what you need to do. I feel like you've patched me up so many times now that I should be used to this," I chuckled lightheartedly.

"That's true. Let's try and break this habit huh?"

"Yeah that would be nice," I said.

Derek dumped some peroxide onto gauze and pressed it to my head. I sucked in a breath at the sting. "Ow ow ow ow ow," I repeated to try and deal with the pain.

"Here hold my hand. Breathe. The worst is over," Derek soothed as he grabbed my hand in his. "Ohhh crap, I lied. This part of he wound is really deep, and I think it's going to need a few stitches. Just like 3 of them."

I squeezed his hand tighter. I remembered after the crash receiving stitches and how badly it hurt, and this time I needed them in my head again and I was terrified. I could handle pain, but sometimes I work myself up before the fact.

Derek felt me tighten my grip and rubbed the back of my hand with this free one. "Hey it's okay... um... do you want me to get one of the guys to come over here while I do this? I need both of my hands."

"No... it's okay. I'll be fine," I said with as much confidence as I could muster.

"Wow. I totally would have believed you if you weren't trembling again," he smirked.

"Damn. I can't hide my nerves," I shrugged in response.

"I do need you to stop shaking though remember?"

"Is she okay?" Jake asked.

"She's fine. She needs a few stitches so I'm trying to calm her down," Derek answered, "Jake, go lay down... seriously you look exhausted."

"I don't want to leave her until I know she's okay," Jake said, a look of determination plastered on his face.

"Jake I'm fine, really. Thank you so much for saving me today... again. But now it's time for you to take care of yourself. Go rest. Please," I persuaded.