50| Family Reunions

As my body was resting, my mind was running wild trying to piece together what happened; could this be real? Were we really rescued?

Once the helicopter landed, I remember the men hooting and hollering, and medics bringing out a stretcher for Wes and I. I remember Jake talking to them with urgency about my condition, and Derek explaining to them what he thought was the case medically. Then, everything went dark.

My fingers twitched against rough fabric. Was this a blanket? It certainly didn't feel like the sweatshirt material I'd been used to. Come to think of it, it felt like I had a cushion or pillow beneath my head and that I was laying on something soft. Am I in a bed?

I blinked one eye open and then the other, letting them adjust to the light streaming in from the window. I looked around my small room and discovered I was clearly in a hospital room; a stark contrast from the cave walls I had become accustomed to. I then followed the IV drip with my eyes, stopping when I saw the tube going into my arm.

I turned my head towards the other side of the room to find Jake asleep in the armchair beside my bed, and my heart jumped with excitement. He looked so handsome and peaceful in his sleep. He was wearing a green T-shirt, similar to the shade I had told him I liked, along with a pair of blue jeans. I could see the fabric of his shirt and even his jeans strain over his large muscles; even after being relatively underfed for over a month, he was still a force to be reckoned with. He looked very tan, with a clean shave and his hair detangled and brushed away from his face. I took a moment to admire him before deciding to wake him up.

I didn't remember anything after getting onto the helicopter and I wanted some answers.

"Jake?" I croaked out. Damn my throat was dry.

Jake's eyes opened immediately. "Cassie! You're awake!" He exclaimed while getting up and making his way over to my bedside. "How are you? Can I get you anything?"

I swallowed hard, feeling the scratchiness of my throat. "Water?"

"Oh of course. I have some right here actually," Jake said as he grabbed a cup off the table beside him. "Here ya go."

I raised the cup to my lips and let the cool water run down my throat, soothing the dryness. I took a few more sips before attempting to speak again. "So, what happened?"

Jake sighed, running a hand through his hair before sitting down on the edge of my bed. "You were out for almost 2 days. You had a really bad infection from your bullet wound, but the doctors were able to get it under control and took the bullet out. We got lucky that they found us when they did."

"Oh wow..." I said, trying to take it all in. I didn't realize it had been such a close call. Then I remembered my gunshot wound and took a glance at my leg. To my surprise, I had a full leg cast on.

Jake noticed where I was looking because he continued explaining. "Yeah... the doctors checked you for other injuries too and we mentioned how your ankle was injured from the crash and how it keeps clicking. They gave you an x-ray and the clicking was because the bones never set right. They had to re-brake it and you have to wear the cast so that the bones heal correctly this time."

"Terrific," I responded dryly; that was kind of a bummer. "How is Wes? His leg?"

"He's okay; also in a cast," Jake replied.

"Okay that's not too bad, how about everyone else? You?"

"We all just needed food, rest, and a looooot of fluids, but everyone is fine. They've actually all been coming in and out to see you, hoping you'd wake up."