38| Repercussions

Heading back to camp was the hardest decision we ever had to make, and my heart was in my throat waiting to find out the outcome. I was wondering if these were the men who shot the people I found in the well? Why did they? Even if they weren't, they had guns and I wasn't sure if they would use them on any one of us. They have proven already that they weren't good people. Once they found our camp... would we be disposable to them?

My mind was overwhelmed. I tightened my legs around Jake's torso, holding tight to his chest as we approached camp. I could feel his grip tightening on my legs, and I could tell he was feeling every bit as helpless and nervous as I was in this situation. It was a sight I never thought I'd see.

Eventually, Jake let me down off his back as we approached the trees leading to our cave. I felt sick. I was so terrified of what could happen now. I thought of Nate, Adam, Wes, Derek, Cam, and Luke and how they had no idea what was coming. It hurt my heart... it really did. Would they feel betrayed?

The first person I saw was Adam. He rounded the corner with a huge smile on his face. "Hey there's the love birds! What took you guys so..." he stopped talking when he caught the look in my eyes; he stopped walking when Wayde and Garret appeared around the corner, a gun pointed to our backs.

"What's going on?" Adam asked, holding his hands up in surrender.

Tears welled up in my eyes and I blinked them back. What have we done?

"You," Wayde nudged Jake in the back with his gun, "Go gather everyone at your camp. We have an announcement to make."

As soon as Jake took a step away from me, Garret locked his arms around mine, holding them behind my back. I whimpered at the suddenness of his movements.

Adam took a step forward but halted when Wayde pointed his gun at him. "You don't want to do that," he snarled.

"I'm doing what you ask. Let her go please," Jake pleaded.

"Go gather everyone. She's collateral. If anyone tries to escape camp, we will know, and she gets hurt. Got it?" Garret tightened his grip on my arms to the point that I was sure it was going to bruise. Jake shot me a look that I didn't quite recognize and walked away to the cave to get the rest of the boys.

"You," Wayde pointed at Adam, "Let's go."

The four of us moved towards the fire pit. Adam was leading, walking slowly and never taking his eyes off of Garret and I as he shoved me forward. My body shuddered involuntarily.

Garret felt this and leaned forward, whispering in my ear with his harsh voice, "Don't tremble baby. I won't hurt you unless I have to—you're way too sexy."

My heart pounded at his words and I felt myself beginning to panic. Just as I contemplated doing something stupid to get away, Jake and the rest of the guys headed out from our cave. Everyone had a look on their face of shock, sadness, and fear all mixed into one. Jake must have prepared them the best he could for what was coming.

"All men huh? That's kind of kinky," Garret continued to assault my eardrums.

"We're all here," Jake said with a stern and commanding tone, "Let her go."

Garret sniffed me again like he had done previously and I tried to keep my face from grimacing. His hands wandered all the way down my arms, stopping on my ass as he pushed me forward.

Although I was appalled by his touch, at least he let me go. I was quick to make my way over to the guys.

Nate reached out to me the second I was close enough, pulling me behind him. I was immediately shielded from the gaze of Wayde and Garret as I tucked myself behind Nate's frame.