40| New Normal

Last night trying to sleep was worse than the very first night we got here. That night, I was plagued by nightmares of the plane crash and the faces of those who died. Last night, we were sharing a cave with people who seem to have no morals, and who bring death to others. A situation that made everyone way too uneasy to get any sleep.

Jake was sweet. He tried his best to comfort me and I really did try my best to get some rest, but under the circumstances, sleep never came.

"Don't worry, I won't let them get near you tonight. I promise," Jake had said, "Just get some sleep, I'm right here."

Easier said than done. 

At several points in the night, I offered for Jake to get some sleep too, telling him that I would stay awake and keep watch since it was impossible for me to sleep anyway. However, this was an offer he refused. Both of us remained mostly awake, dozing in and out until the sun was risen. I knew the other guys probably had similar nights, because the normal steady sound of breathing I had been accustomed to was non-existent.

The only time I even pretended to be asleep was when I saw Wayde and Garret arise and exit the cave this morning. I glanced over at Jake who appeared to be sleeping, but I had a feeling he was also pretending.

"Jake, are you asleep?" I asked quietly enough that it wouldn't wake him.

"Of course not," he grumbled, "Good morning."

"Hi," I replied. "Anyone else awake?" I whispered.

Almost immediately, I was met with affirmative whispers or hands raised in the air, accounting for everyone.

"This is shit," Adam announced loud enough for everyone to hear it, but not enough to be heard outside of the cave.

I had to agree. This situation absolutely was shit. I thought about the days leading up to yesterday and how we were all thriving and getting along out here, and my heart sank. The high morale that we had kept throughout this experience was completely gone, and the mood was so dismal today.

"Everyone! Get out here. Now!" I was jolted from my thoughts as Wayde's angry voice boomed through the silence and echoed into the cave.

My throat seized and my body immediately began to tremble. The anger in his voice made me think the worst; he knew that someone took the ammunition, and he was willing to kill for it.

We all shared looks with each other, but it was Derek who was the first to rise to his feet. "We have to go guys; we don't have a choice," he stated.

Jake was next to rise, offering me his hand. I took it as he pulled me to my feet. I didn't release his hand as we made our way out of the cave towards the fire pit. I could hear the rest of the guys trudge out behind us, although everyone was so quiet. We were all nervous, and I was sure we all had a feeling of what this was about.

"Sit down. All of you," Wayde commanded, gun in hand.

We did as we were told, and I was seated between Jake and Wes with Nathan kneeling behind me. Just as we all were seated, Wayde approached us, stopping directly in front of me with a look of anger on his face.

"Come here," he boomed as he yanked me to my feet. The guy was huge; he pulled me up and handed me off to Garret without any effort at all. My guys shifted around me in protest, but I shot them a look that told them to be still.

"I'm going to ask you all one simple question. Who took the bullets?" he asked.

Everyone was silent.

"You better answer, or your princess gets it," he snarled.

I shook my head slightly to the guys, praying nobody would answer. I was nervous that whoever said a word would be shot immediately. The guys remained silent, not knowing how to respond.