22| Hungover

I woke up to the sound of the rock wall sliding, and a cold breeze assaulted my body. My head was pounding, and I felt like if I moved I would throw everything up. I took a couple deep breaths to try and quell my nausea and raised my hands to rub circles on my temples. I couldn't feel Jake next to me anymore so I assumed he was one who left the cave, but I couldn't bring myself to open my eyes to check.

"You okay Cassie?" Derek whispered to me.

"Ugh... no. I'm never drinking again," I groaned. A wave of nausea passed through me at the thought of drinking.

"Sorry we let you get so drunk," Derek said.

"It's fine. From what I remember, you all cut me off. I would have kept going, so thanks for that." I knew my limits usually, but it had been a while since I drank like that. Also, I didn't usually drink for leisure. As soon as I have my first drink, I get excited and feel inclined to continue.

I heard some shuffling around but still didn't open my eyes. "Here, put this over your eyes. It may help with your head," Derek said from right beside me.

"What is it?" I cracked an eye open to look at him. Even seeing the small sliver of light streaming into the cave felt like a dagger to my brain.

"Wet t-shirt. It's cold from the rain." He sat down and gently placed the t-shirt over my eyes. The coldness helped as he pressed it over my face. He moved my head into his lap and began rubbing my temples.

"Is this helping?"

"With my headache yes it is. Absolutely. Thank you."

I heard someone chuckle. "Little hungover are we?" Nathan asked.

"I don't think Jack Daniels agreed with me," I said as I tried not to gag.

"Jack agrees with everyone! You just can't handle your liquor. Whiskey's my favorite kind of alcohol. I feel fantastic today," Nathan rattled on.

At all the mentioning of alcohol, my stomach churned. I sat up quickly. "Oh no. I'm gonna be sick."

Nathan's eyes widened in shock, "What? Now?"

I gave a quick nod and looked at Derek to help me. He was quick to jump up and scoop me up in his arms. He ran out of the cave and we made it just in time. The second Derek set me down outside, I dropped down to all 4's and began throwing up all the alcohol from last night.

Derek pulled my hair back for me as I puked. "Derek," I coughed, "go away; I don't want you to see this."

"I'm a doctor remember? I've seen worse."

I stopped questioning him as I continued to throw up until there was nothing left in my stomach. My head was pounding. I wiped my mouth and turned over onto my back, not caring about the wet muddy grass or the cold sprinkle of rain hitting my bare skin.

"Are you okay? Want to go back inside?" Derek asked. 

I squinted up at him, "Not yet. Honestly, I may throw up again. Plus, the cold and rain is helping me feel better."

"Cassie?" Jake appeared beside Derek, looking down at me with one of his eyebrows cocked.

"Hmmm," I replied. I didn't want him to see me like this, nor did I have the energy to do anything about it.