6| Doctor for a Day

"Okay all survivors, listen up!" I turned away from my awkward conversation with Jake to see Derek standing in the middle of where we were all sitting. "I am a doctor. I found some medical supplies in the bags we took from the plane, and I'm going to come around and check out everyone's injuries. Please try and stay calm. If everyone could come over here in a circle so we can discuss who needs medical attention first, I would appreciate it! Thank you!"

A doctor? Thank god. Although looking around nobody here looked to be in too bad of shape, it was still nice to know somebody here knew how to help. Everyone started shuffling over to where Derek had gestured, and for a moment I pictured myself crawling over to the area to avoid my ankle.

Then, without saying anything, Jake stood up and reached a hand out to me. I gratefully took it as he pulled me to my feet (or foot in this case) and promptly picked me up in his arms again. I muttered a "thank you" as he walked over to where the other guys were already sitting in a circle talking, and he set me down gently next to Nathan (the guy who pulled me out from under the seat).

"Hey Cassie," he shot me a forced smile although his eyes were glassy, like he was trying to blink away tears.

"Hi Nathan. Thank you for pulling me out of the plane." I offered a smile back, hoping it would provide him with a little bit of comfort.

"Hey don't mention it. We all gotta stick together out here."

I didn't get a chance to look before, but Nathan was also quite handsome. He had these big blue eyes that reminded me of the ocean, and short sandy blonde hair that was slightly messy but pushed back away from his face. He had a muscular figure as well, although he had leaner muscle than Jake, and looked to be a few inches shorter.

I snapped out of it when I heard my name. One of the other guys that I hadn't met yet was talking to Derek and pointing at me, trying to convince him to help me first. However, he looked to be in more pain than I was at the moment. He was holding his arm close to his body with the other one, and his face was contorted into a grimace. I assumed he dislocated his shoulder and therefore would need immediate assistance to ease his pain.

Derek turned to walk over to me  anyway, and I shook my head quickly. Just because I was a girl, didn't mean I needed any kind of special treatment. He was clearly in more pain. "Take care of him first please. His shoulder is probably dislocated, and I'm okay right now," I explained when he gave me a confused look.

"Okay... thanks Cassie. Do you have medical training too?" He asked.

"Some... mostly just the basics. I was a CNA for a bit and I've taken some survival courses." I was only a CNA for a few years back when I wanted to be a nurse like my mom. I quickly figured out though that nursing wasn't going to be the career for me.

He gave me a smile, "Do you think you could help me clean and dress wounds? If you think they need stitches, send them over to me and I'll take care of it. It would make things go a lot faster."

I smiled at this, "Of course. I'd love to help." After being basically useless in escaping the airplane myself, let alone helping anyone else escape, I would jump at the chance to help the survivors now—-although I'll admit I did sound a little too eager.

"Great thank you," he said to me and then turned to address the group. "Okay everyone! If you have any flesh wounds come over here to Cassie. She's going to clean them and dress them. If she thinks you need stitches, come to me and I will take care of that for you. Okay first Wesley, let's pop your shoulder back," he said while reaching a hand down to me. I took it and let him pull me up, but didn't let go of his arm when I wobbled ungracefully on my good foot.