18| Sinking

The quick sand was thick and heavy around my body. I tried to raise myself to the top with slow and steady movements. The weight around my injured ankle was painful, and when I tried to move up the sand would remain sturdy around it, bending it down at the injury. Tears pricked my eyes as I struggled. As much as I tried to hide my discomfort, it didn't go unnoticed.

Wes was working his way out slowly, but his concerned eyes never stopped watching me. "Cassie, are you okay?"

I decided to confide in him because I could feel myself starting to panic. "I don't know what to do. The sand is crushing my ankle. When I try and pull it up it hurts so bad; Wes, I don't think I can do this."

"You can Cassie; you're strong. I know I got you into this mess for going the wrong way, and I'm so sorry, but I will be here to help you out."

I hadn't been making any progress before, but now it seemed I was making it worse for myself and I was sunken down to my rib cage. "I'm trying but it's getting worse! I keep sinking!"

"HELP US!" Wes shouted.

"JAKE! CAM! LUKE!" Adam called.

"NATHAN! DEREK! ANYONE!" Wes added.

I joined in yelling for help as I continued to sink. I knew I had to lay back, but at this point I was too deep to do so, and moving my legs hurt too bad... I was losing hope. Everything I knew about how to get out of quicksand just wasn't applying to me at the moment. Thankfully, right as a tear was about to escape my eyes, Jake busted through the trees. He was panting as he took in the scene.

"Oh shit," he said with wide eyes, "are you guys okay? Nathan and Luke are coming right behind me! We heard you yelling for help."

"I'm working my way up slowly, but the sand is too tight around Cassie's ankle for her to move it. She's really stuck; please help her," Wes pleaded with Jake.

Jake took a few steps closer, making sure he was on solid ground right as Nathan and Luke arrived to help the others. I was kind of embarrassed to be caught in a bad situation yet again, but the feeling of fear was way stronger.

Jake crawled to the edge of the solid ground. He planted one arm firmly on the edge and reached his other arm out towards me. "Cass, take my hand."

"But you can't pull me out. Sudden movements like that make it worse." I shook my head at him and a tear escaped my eyes. I quickly wiped it away.

"Calm down Cassie," he soothed. "Just grab on and use my arm to help pull yourself out. I'll help a little, but we will only move small amounts at a time until you are out far enough to lay back. Then, when you get close to the surface, I'll be able to pull you out."

I nodded and reached out for his arm. He did have a way of helping me calm down, and I was thankful for it.

"That's good. I'm not going to let you sink any deeper. Now take some deep breaths and start moving your feet."

I began moving my good foot around in the thick sand, using Jake's strong arm for support. I managed to move it up about an inch and decided to try my luck with my bad ankle. I wiggled it around and a sharp pain shot through me. "Jake it hurts," I whimpered.

"I know; I know it does Cass, but it's the only way to get you out of here."

I nodded and yanked on my foot again. I let out a yelp of pain but felt the sand start to give. "I think it's working," I announced as I moved my good foot up another inch. I felt Jake tense his arm as I pushed down on it to pull myself up. I repeated this process a couple more times, and was now only sunken down to my belly button.

SurvivorOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara