14| SOS

The group of us headed off into the thick forest. Jake was walking in front of the group, hacking branches out of the way with the machete. Cam was next to him, discussing which way to go, Derek was walking behind us, and Luke and I were in the middle. We had been chatting about what we were hoping to kill today, but conversation had died down. This was my chance to learn a little more about Luke.

"So Luke, can I ask you somethin'?" I said with a curious tone.

"Shoot," he replied as he hoisted be higher on his back.

"What brings you out here? I mean not here here, but on this trip?" I asked.

"Oh easy. My idiot younger brother," Luke sighed.

"He signed you up?"

"Close. He signed us both up. It's Adam."

"Adam's your brother!?" I shouted. I was shocked. They were both handsome men but they didn't really look alike, and they never mentioned anything before about being brothers--at least not to me.

"Not by choice," he chuckled.

"Wow I'm shocked! Okay, so how come he signed you up?"

"Well, I haven't mentioned this yet either but I have a girlfriend of 3 years back at home, and I was planning to propose to her when I got back from this trip."

"Luke that's amazing! Congratulations!" I interjected.

"Thank you," he smiled, "anyway, Adam thought this would be some fun, manly, brother bonding before I tie the knot."

"Manly," I chuckled and made air quotes in front of his face.

"His exact words, not mine," Luke chuckled back.

"How come you haven't mentioned her before? What's her name?"

"Her name is Kayla. I'm not sure why I haven't mentioned her yet. I guess it just hasn't come up and this situation has been so intense. It scares me to think I may not get back to her, and it hurts me to think of how she's going to feel if I'm not back when I said I was going to be."

"I get it Luke. You just need to have faith that we will get back. Tell me about her; what's she like? How'd you meet?"

"We met in college my Junior year; she lived in the same apartment building as me across the hall. I saw her struggling to carry some heavy boxes when she moved in and I offered to help."

"Awe that's a sweet story." I smiled at him although he couldn't see me since I was on his back.

"Yeah it was the best decision I've ever made. I was taken with her deep blue eyes and brown curly hair from the moment I met her, and I've been blessed with 3 years of getting to know her for the smart, independent, spontaneous woman that she is."

"I'm really happy for you that you found the one! I hope one day I can have what you have. You seem so in love."

"I am. And you will."

"Can I come to the wedding?"

"Sure," he laughed.

"Shh everyone," Cam whisper-yelled to us. "There's two does right there at the creek. I think we should try and get a little closer and wait for more deer to show up; hopefully a buck."