Epilogue

Life since we were rescued honestly couldn't have been better. It had been about 2 years now, and Jake and I were still together. After the party at Nathan's, we both had to go our separate ways for a while. I completed my degree at ASU and Jake completed his degree at his university in Texas, studying to be a cop. I wasn't surprised by his choice of career; after all, there was no denying that he had the protective nature to want to defend and help others. He was finished before I was, but Texas had an amazing job opportunity for him, so we continued long distance until I graduated. It was difficult to be apart from him, but our mutual love was strong enough to make it work. We also would take turns visiting each other at least twice a month. Every moment I spent with him was bliss, and the distance just made us stronger.

Back at home, my relationship with my mom had improved immensely. We went to therapy together to try and work through our feelings, and I have no shame in admitting it was very helpful. I actually insisted my mom join me because I was already in therapy myself. My nightmares had continued for about a year, and it seemed the only time I didn't have them was when Jake was around. However, there was one night that he was visiting me, and I had a bad one again and admitted to Jake that the majority of my dreams were this way. It was then that he convinced me I may need professional help. After seeing my therapist for a year and a half, I was feeling much better on a personal level, and with my family relationships.

Plus, I wasn't the only one who needed a little therapy. After everything we had been through, I knew a few of the guys were also getting some help and it was beneficial for all of us to help us adjust back to reality.

Speaking of the guys and personal relationships, Derek and Caralyn had kept in touch, and about 9 months ago they started dating! I honestly could not have been happier for them. They both are very important people in my life and I could not have picked a better man for my sister. She can be a lot, but she deserves the world.

Of the other guys, Nathan and Cam were both in happily committed relationships. I had the opportunity to meet both of their women during one of our get togethers and thought they were great! Both were sweet and beautiful, and were not afraid to put the men in their place when they deserved it; not that it happened often. Adam and Wes were both still single, but they've had some flings. I wasn't worried about them though; they were both great guys so I knew it was only a matter of time before they found the one.

Carter and Emma were also still together, but let's be honest, I never doubted them; they'll probably be married soon enough. Emma and I talk often and she remains my best girl friend. As for my college friend and roommate Alexa, we're doing much better, although I thought our relationship would always be slightly strained given what happened.

After I punched Trent in the face and told her off at Nathan's, things got a little awkward in our apartment to say the least. We both were kind of just coexisting for a few days, but then something remarkable happened; she came to her senses. She came to me crying and apologizing for not believing me. She had dumped Trent and wanted to work on our friendship again. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what prompted her change of heart and I wasn't going to ask; why argue with a good thing?

We lived together for the remainder of college and although we still keep in touch from time to time, I'm just not sure we will be in each others lives forever, and I'm okay with it.

As for the rest of the guys and where we're at now, we all try and get together every couple of months. Everyone seems to be doing great! Derek is happy with Caralyn and is working on his medical degree, Cam got his degree in marketing and was working on his relationship with his family, Adam and Wes were content in their careers, and Nathan has been enjoying working on the farm. Jake and I actually see him quite often as he also lives in Texas with us. In addition, Luke and Kayla were now also living in Texas, and about to marry. They decided to postpone their wedding by a few months while Luke took some time dealing with his experiences. He wanted to marry Kayla when he was 100% feeling back to the way he was. Not that his feelings for her changed at all, but returning to our old lives wasn't that simple, and Kayla understood this.