Chapter Fifty - Family Reunion?

And so it was decided. My bags were packed and my goodbye's were said.

Yes, this was a tad spontaneous for my liking, but it was necessary.

Mom and Daddy were weary, but they said it was okay as long as I kept in touch and wasn't gone for too long.

I'd arranged it with the school and all of my teachers that the work would be emailed to me and I could keep up with classes.

I didn't want to fall behind, and I simply told them I'd had a family emergency. Thankfully, they didn't question it.

I tried not to cry, and so did my parents, as I got into the taxi, and it drove off. I watched through the back window, and waved back at them, smiling sadly.

I would miss them so much.

My heart clenched as we drove past Josh's house. I hadn't even said goodbye to him, to anyone. But I couldn't stay here any more.. it hurt too much, to see him every day and not be able to be with him any more.. to watch him with those other girls.. it just proved over and over again that he really never did love me. That everything, was a lie.

The houses became few and far between as more and more shops began to appear and we were in the city, far away from home, but also so far away from where I was headed too.. I was scared, alone. I wasn't used to this level of independence and I wanted my daddy to scoop me up in his arms and protect me. But I knew it was time to grow out of that habit. I had to open my eyes to the real world and grow up.

It was hours before we arrived outside uncle Luke's house. I hadn't been here in so long.. it felt strange to be back. Everything felt strange these days, I was numb, it was like I had no purpose. The rain had long since dampened my mood to just as low as it could get as it beat off the foggy window's of the taxi.

I paid the taxi driver and thanked him, before lugging my bags up to the front door and knocking, the rain matting my hair to my face and making my clothes turn see through and dripping.

I shivered, getting impatient for the door to open.

Within seconds, it was open and in a flash I found myself engulfed in the arms of the man who's been like a second father to me my whole life, who I loved like my own father and who I'd missed more than I realised.

Luke picked me up and spun me around in a circle, laughing, squeezing me tightly. I could barely hear his welcoming as the tears slowly began to fall from my eyes. He gently sat me back down on my feet and frowned.

''What's the matter sweetheart?''

''I missed you so much..'' I whimpered.

With a sad smile, He wrapped me up in his arms again, stroking my hair as I let it all out into his chest. By the time I had pulled back, I realised he was upset too, but he was trying not to show it. He leant down and wiped the tears from my eyes, kissing my head.

''Come on,'' he said softly, ''everyone's waiting to see you.'' he smiled.

I nodded, leaving all my bags in the hall as Luke took my hand and we walked through to the kitchen, were so many familiar faces greeted me with warm smiles.. it was overwhelming.

Sophie, Uncle Kieran, his wife Cara, Abbie, Uncle Sam, Uncle Chuck and Michael balancing a baby on his hip. The scene brought tears to my eyes as one by one each of them hugged me and welcomed me and told me how much they missed me.

There were kids running round everywhere, it was hard to keep count and who belonged to who, but you got used to it after a while.

I missed how hectic things used to be around our family, there were just so many of us. But they were all the best people you could ever meet, and I loved them all with all my heart.