Chapter Two

ROSIE

My alarm clock buzzed loudly from beside me and I groaned, blindly grabbing at my nightstand until I located the annoying sound, throwing it at a random wall and burying my face back in the pillows.

Boy I did not want to get up this morning.

I pulled the covers over my head and shut my eyes tightly, hoping for just ten more minutes of-

"Wakey, wakey!"

Damn.

"No." I grumbled.

I heard Dad laughing quietly to himself and before I knew it, I was on the floor and my duvet had been ripped out from under me.

"Daddy no!" I whined sleepily. He grinned down at my and held out a hand for me to take, playfully rolling his eyes when I didn't and bent down to pull me up by my waist.

"Sweetheart I know you aren't looking forward to starting a new school, but it'll be okay. Just get dressed and get today over with, it won't be as bad as you think." he said, smiling slightly.

I scowled up at him.

He had no idea what it was like to be a 17-year-old girl having to start over away from everything she loved.

As much as I love him, his encouragements mean nothing to me this morning.

Today was going to suck.

Big time.

He laughed and messed up my hair even more than it already was from tossing and turning all night, grinning and pulling me towards the door.

"Your Mom's making pancakes...?" he suggested.

Bribery.

My dad does not play fair.

I was in the kitchen so fast I'm surprised I didn't give myself whiplash!

"Morning!" Mom chirped happily.

I grumbled impatiently at her, begging her with my eyes to pacify me with the damn pancakes.

She rolled her eyes and slid a few of the sweet cakes onto my plate. I barely waited for her to retract her hand before I had begun to devour the scrummy pancakes.

My Mom made awesome pancakes.

I gave her a toothy smile, my mouth full of chewed up pancake and she laughed at me, sitting down beside me with her own plate and setting one beside her for Dad.

"Are you looking forward to your first day of school?" My Mom asked me, sipping her coffee, and watching me intently.

I shook my head, "No. Not really Mom." I said quietly.

She gave me a sad smile, "I know your scared sweety but I'm sure you'll be fine, just keep your head up, okay?" She reached out her hand across the breakfast bar and held mine, rubbing soothing circles across my palm.

I nodded weakly, staring into space, and willing the tears not to fall. If I'm honest, I was terrified.

The new house was so big and scary, I was still getting used to the layout and it didn't feel like home. I didn't feel comfortable here and I already knew school was going to be a nightmare. I didn't feel like I had a safe space here at all.

Dad came into the kitchen now dressed for work, ready to go as soon as he had his breakfast. He sat down beside Mom, looking worriedly at my hand in hers.

"It'll be okay, sweety." he said sincerely. I forced a smile and made my excuses, leaving to go and get dressed and ready for school.

Dad nodded and tucked into his pancakes, lifting the morning paper to pass the time as he waited for me.